Any gardeners here? Need a little help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any gardeners here? Need a little help

This may be better suited for the home improvement forum, I'm not sure. If a mod feels so, please move it.

I started some raised planters a few weeks back. both are 3'x3' and I'm growing in 1'x1' squares. The boxes were set up with drain holes in the bottom, 1-2" of rock to aid drainage and then 12-14" of soil. The soil mixture is approx 1/3 each of the following:

top soil
    mushroom compost
    humus and manure mix

This is the same mix that I started the following seedlings in:

Cherry Tomatoes
    "Regular" tomatoes (don't remember the variety)
    Bell Peppers
    Onions
    Zucchini
    Cucumbers

In one box I have my zucchini, cucumbers and onions. In the other box I have the tomatoes and bell peppers. The first issue I am running into are yellow spots on the leaves of my zucchini, some are developing brown spots. My cucumbers, I noticed that several of the plants developed a brown spot towards the center of the leaf, then the leaf turned yellow.

I first noticed some small bugs on the leaves of the zucchini, they didn't look like squash bugs, they were small long and narrow. I want to keep this all organic, so I sought some organic methods of pest control. I found that marigolds are good for deterring insects so I planted one marigold in the center of each planter to help ward off insects, and I also dusted with diotomaceous earth to help kill the critters that were there.

Now to my latest concern. I am not sure if the yellow/brown spots on my zucchini leaves were caused by the insects or if it is some kind of fungus. I typically water twice a day, in the morning and then in the evening when I get home. I don't drench the bed, as soon as I see a little water puddling, I stop. I've been meaning to set up a drip irrigation system, but this hasn't happened yet, so I am watering from the shower setting on the hose nozzle. I wouldn't think that it is being over watered unless I mixed in too much top soil and it is holding more water than I want. Sorry if this is really long, I tried to have a little foresight and provide any pertinent information that I could think might be needed. I've attached some pictures of the beds before the vegetables were transplanted. I will get some pictures of the plants posted tomorrow.

Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

It sounds like it might be bacterial spot.
    Last edited by Treasure Chest; 05-28-2012, 08:44 AM.

Comment

As promised here are some pictures. The first 3 are of the zucchini plants. The last one is what is happening to the cucumbers.

Comment

It could be a genetic problem as far as the brown spots go... your bug problem could be very easy to fix. Sevendust!
        Wanna see my care face???

Comment

Trying to keep this an organic project. So I want to stay away from chemicals. Dusting with DE and the addition of the marigolds have helped. I've got another empty square in each planter. I may pick up another marigold for each one. I found out Ive got a friend who is a master gardener who is going to take a look at them for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Good luck, I love my garden, nothing like going and picking fresh food.

Comment

Thanks. This is my first. Something I've wanted to get going for several years. I am still learning about rotation, companion planting, and when to plant. We had a garden when I was a kid, I loved picking and eating the fresh fruit. I've got room for 2-3 more 3'x3' boxes. If I have some success, I will expand a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Yeah see at first I wanted to do the organic thing, but it just isn't any fun anymore. I load my plants with all kinds of crazy "steroids" now, and dust my garden every 4 or 5 months with sevendust. I have realized that I have a higher yield when I feed the plants. My garden is about 15x15 and it gets bigger every year. lol If you do run out of room you can always use tuperware plastic storage bins. I have a family I do work for that has a pool and no yard at all. She has about 20-30 storage bins on her deck with just about everything you could think of growing!

Comment

you are thinking right about the yellow/brown spots being mold.

you'll see more and more bugs as young vegetating leaves brown out and die because bugs love eating dead plant material.

Comment

One thing I do need to comment on, is the white stuff you see on the leaves is some left over DE. It is not the common white mildew problem

Comment

I'm still going with bacterial spot. It will be interesting to see what your friend says.

Comment

For those following this. My friend said it is downy mold or mildew. I dusted this evening with sulphur, she said that should take care of the problem. Hopefully it is solved quick, I think I've lost 1-2 plants so far

Comment

Get some Organic pesticides, there are really a ton available! Also, lady bugs, they eat certain insects, although I have no clue what they eat.

ARBICO has carefully selected natural insecticides and repellents to control and eliminate pests without harm to you or your environment.

Comment

ATM I am using Diatomaceous earth regularly, dusting the plants and the soil. I've got a marigold in each planter, may add a second in each. And tonight I dusted with the sulphur for the mildew. Next Tuesday I plan to visit home depot or lowes and see what they have to offer in the way of organic control. Hopefully by then the mildew/leaf problem will be under control and I haven't lost my entire crop of plants. The DE did a pretty good job on the initial dusting of controlling the insects.

Comment

Working...
                            X