Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is "Mentally Retarded" an offensive term when..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
    You say that like you've never met Sean before....
    He seems to have had much more tact in person the times I've been around him.

Comment

I'm so tired of this PC bullshit. Just yesterday the leach in front of me at the grocery store got all bent out of shape because the cashier kept calling "his I'm a lazy fuck and don't by my own groceries card" food stamps. Then he proceed to go pay cash for cigarettes.

Comment

I just still don't see why they would have put anything of the sort in a yearbook anyways.. Do they go into detailed descriptions of every student?

Besides, mentally retarded is a pretty generalized term, is it not? If they were going to put anything I would think they would specify the actual issue.

"Some of the disabilities the students in the Special Education Program have are being blind, deaf or non-verbal" and described two students as "both blind and deaf, and have autism."

Hell, at least they could have said "both blind and deaf, as well as other disabilities."

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
          He seems to have had much more tact in person the times I've been around him.
          At times

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
            I just still don't see why they would have put anything of the sort in a yearbook anyways.. Do they go into detailed descriptions of every student?

Besides, mentally retarded is a pretty generalized term, is it not? If they were going to put anything I would think they would specify the actual issue.

"Some of the disabilities the students in the Special Education Program have are being blind, deaf or non-verbal" and described two students as "both blind and deaf, and have autism."

Hell, at least they could have said "both blind and deaf, as well as other disabilities."
            I'm under the impression that they made a section back in the clubs and organizations area with a brief write-up and captioned candid photos. It's going to be difficult for a high school kid to have the life experience and tact to do a write up about a group that they're clueless about. They should have asked the special education counselor for advice and taken it to them for proofing. The yearbook faculty advisor should have caught the pages before they went to print.

Hell, 16 years ago when I was the photo editor of the school newspaper and a staff photographer for the yearbook, I had to do a write-up for the district wide special Olympics. Even back then, we didn't use words like mentally retarded, and their actual medical conditions weren't mentioned unless the parent requested something be put in the caption to bring awareness to their disability. I also made a point to get shots with student volunteers that were used for the yearbook for grade level place holders where appropriate and in the student organization pages. That way, the special needs students weren't just pictured with their grade levels, since most of them weren't involved in student organizations and were secluded to their own area on campus and had separate lunch times.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              You'll probably never understand (or care) how ignorant that makes you sound until you one day have a child or a close loved one who is indeed severely retarded.
              I do understand and apologize for me being flippant.

I was going with the sarcasm of the thread or so I thought. I used it like you would call a friend "retard" when they do something stupid. Reason I used window licker is what I am called at work since I have one of the few windows at work and can be more then stupid at times.

Having done a lot of tours for special needs groups and seeing the pleasure they get out of something I think is routine has recaged my thoughts a ton. I will not edit my original post as to take the kick in the balls I deserve....

Comment

Originally posted by Couver View Post
                I do understand and apologize for me being flippant.

I was going with the sarcasm of the thread or so I thought. I used it like you would call a friend "retard" when they do something stupid. Reason I used window licker is what I am called at work since I have one of the few windows at work and can be more then stupid at times.

Having done a lot of tours for special needs groups and seeing the pleasure they get out of something I think is routine has recaged my thoughts a ton. I will not edit my original post as to take the kick in the balls I deserve....
                That's big of you, man. Thanks.

If I've made you think twice about it at all, I'm thrilled. I was the same way in the past. Threw the word around lightly. That's where it offends most. A lot of people with retarded children or loved ones, myself included (my niece is severely mentally handicapped) can be put off by the fact that something so real and so terrible that affects their life so negatively can be thrown around lightly by people who aren't affected by it at all, and don't have a clue as to what it is really like. It's like making "fun" of something that that is not fun or funny at all.

Anyway, that's rad for you to make this post.

Comment

Fuck em if they can't take a joke. I am a cripple and am a little slow in the head due to a brain surgery. I don't get all but hurt when someone says anything.

Comment

A buddy of mine is a football coach at Mesquite High, he was telling me about this last weekend. He cracked up a little too.
                    You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

none of this is half as bad as the dictionary and grammer police on this website.
                      lets face it, they basically spend all day reading and analizing every word on here just to try and make others feel retarded about something that no one even gives two shits about in the first place.
                      FUCK them in their RETARDED ASSES!

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
                        analizing
                        Seriously? I mean, fucking really?

As for the spelling/grammar nazis - It's simple. You (and many others) come across as uneducated imbeciles, because you can't construct a coherent sentence. I find it hard to believe that anyone is proud to be stupid.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          Seriously? I mean, fucking really?

As for the spelling/grammar nazis - It's simple. You (and many others) come across as uneducated imbeciles, because you can't construct a coherent sentence. I find it hard to believe that anyone is proud to be stupid.
                          He literally made up the word narcocistic and used it twice in another thread, then got mad when I called him on it. If you expect to be taken seriously, learn the fucking language you have spent decades using.
                          Slow moving projects
                          1964 C10 350/700r4
                          1992 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
                            none of this is half as bad as the dictionary and grammer police on this website.
                            lets face it, they basically spend all day reading and analizing every word on here just to try and make others feel retarded about something that no one even gives two shits about in the first place.
                            FUCK them in their RETARDED ASSES!
                            Wait, because we care enough to learn the English language well enough to speak and write it correctly, we're the dumb ones? lol

Comment

Working...
                            X