Anyone have hookup on cedar fencing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have hookup on cedar fencing?

Im looking to renovate my backyard fence. because the posts (and really the 2x4s going horizontal) are in good shape, Im thinking of only changing out the picket/boards that will be visible in our backyard. I was wanting to go with the wider and taller boards. I want 8' for sure, but something something lik 6" wide and maybe even possibly the board on board look.

I was thinking cedar, but possibly open to other options if they can be stained to really look like cedar, that is the look I like.

anyway, Im needing roughly 140-150 linear feet of pickets/boards and wondering if anyone has hookup vs. me just going to Home Depot or Lowes... Iv never bought fencing before.

Try lumber yards around before you go to HD/Lowes. If you do HD/Lowes, stop by your local post office for a movers packet and try and get a 10% off coupon.

bottlefedstang (something like that) does fences. Do a search in the home improvement forum.

Comment

I would go here before HD/Lowes. Western red cedar is also a good choice.

Lee Roy Jordan Lumber Company of Dallas and Hillsboro Texas. Originally the top Redwood lumber supplier, we now carry most hardwoods and composites.

Comment

I did a little calculator online and if I do 6" boards, with 1" overlap, I will need roughly 300 8' x 6" boards...

I called a cedar supply place in carrolton and they are about $4 a board.. I was hoping to find a "deal" and not spend as much... if I dont go with Cedar, but like the cedar look, what is an alternative type of wood?

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
          I did a little calculator online and if I do 6" boards, with 1" overlap, I will need roughly 300 8' x 6" boards...

I called a cedar supply place in carrolton and they are about $4 a board.. I was hoping to find a "deal" and not spend as much... if I dont go with Cedar, but like the cedar look, what is an alternative type of wood?
          thats not a bad price. Prices go up with wider boards and choosing cedar over pine or whatever else is cheap.

Comment

I am going through it now and found Lowes to be the cheapest. I know there are different grades of wood, but I am not paying double+ for something I would probably not ever notice.

5/8"X5.5"X6' Cedar from Lowes is $1.58
            5/8"X3.5"X6' Cedar from Lowes is $1.38

Check out Dallas Cedar - http://www.dallascedar.net/

Comment

Place in Irving called tx fence supply sold me 1x4x6" cedar pickets for.89 each about a yr ago. They run adds on craigslist in the materials section all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWtechie View Post
                Place in Irving called tx fence supply sold me 1x4x6" cedar pickets for.89 each about a yr ago. They run adds on craigslist in the materials section all the time.
                They jacked their shit up, no longer cheap...

1 x 6 x 6 - # 2 & BTR FT(flat top) - $2.60/each
                1 x 6 x 8 - #2 & BTR FT - $3.79/each
                1 x 4 x 6 - #1 FT - $1.56/each
                1 x 4 x 8 - #2 & BTR FT - $1.99/each
                3/4 x 4 x 8 cedar lattice - $34.95/each

Comment

i really want 8 foot high though, I dont care if they are 4" or 6" wide, but 8 foot high is a must

Comment

i really want 8 foot high though, I dont care if they are 4" or 6" wide, but 8 foot high is a must
                    Do you have 8' posts already? If you are running 6' now you will have 2+ feet above the top runner and will end up looking like shit in a few months.

Comment

Also depending on where you live, you may need a permit for 8'. I know in Dallas county you can replace 6' with 6' but if you go over 6' you have to apply for a building permit.

Comment

well here is my plan to be honest... let me know what you guys think... i currently have 6' with 6' posts. The 2x4 and posts are on my side of the yard. I was going to run new 2x4s on the posts (so they are on my side) then nail new boards to my new 2x4s... but the boards will be 8' instead of 6'... the houses behind me are 2 story and my yard slopes down a little so wanting a little more privacy.
                        I talked to my neighbor behind me and he said he didnt mind... but ill be honest... I didnt really think about the posts not being high enough... would it really affect it that the boards are 2' taller than the top of the post?

Comment

and i live in Mansfield, i know a couple people who have 8' fences and they didnt get a permit. Not saying its not needed, because i dont know. but i know they didnt get one.

Comment

Working...
                          X