What makes a submarine world class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a submarine world class?

Iv tried googling it and I cant find anything. I watched a film about the royal navys new submarine and several people made comments about it being a world class sub. Iv heard the same terminology in several movies and I cant figure out what makes it word class? Does that just mean it's a nuclear sub or that it's on the same level as any sub in the world?
    Btw, lol at the comments on the vid I watched.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ODDjsK0BOg&feature=context-vrec[/ame]

Tuned in for replies....
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

^lol, same here! there should be some good replies from this bunch

Comment

Originally posted by grove rat View Post
        ^lol, same here! there should be some good replies from this bunch
        I figured the people doing the comments on youtube needed a dose of dfwm.
        Start a war and get a question answered. Score 2 for me!

Comment

There are several different classes for submarines, "World" is just one of them.

Comment

"World class" is just a common phrase meaning top notch or first rank. It's a subjective term and not actually a class of submarine.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
              "World class" is just a common phrase meaning top notch or first rank. It's a subjective term and not actually a class of submarine.

This. Every business uses this catch phrase to build themselves up to pretending that it is the absolute best in the industry. Sadly, in most cases, it is nothing more than words and the business model doesn't measure up.

Watching part of the video it does look like a bad ass submarine but why create a YouTube video of it that the world can see? Subs are supposed to be clandestine. Of course, the details could have already been stolen by their enemies so there may be no danger in showing this video to the world.

We've got some sub people on the board. I will be interesting to hear their input.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                Didn't work for shit with the T-5 transmissions

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
                  Didn't work for shit with the T-5 transmissions
                  or russian airliners....
                  pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

"World Class" would exclude any submarine that is in service with the Iranian "navy".

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                      "World Class" would exclude any submarine that is in service with the Iranian "navy".
                      You sir, have no idea how true that statement is, lol. I'll have to watch that video and comment when I get up to groton (submarine capitol of the world) this afternoon.
                      04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
                      There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Originally posted by slowyellow View Post
                        You sir, have no idea how true that statement is, lol. I'll have to watch that video and comment when I get up to groton (submarine capitol of the world) this afternoon.
                        Rotten Groton!! I hope not to stay.
                        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                          Rotten Groton!! I hope not to stay.
                          Nope, just for 3 weeks.
                          04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Ok, so I just got a chance to watch the full video. Well... I hate to say it (not really) but their "cutting edge" technology that they keep talking about, we have had for decades. Several decades, lol. Like the sound mounts, and that "phone ringer thing in case the ship loses power", we have had those for a really, really long time. I think that the only thing that caught me off guard was when they said that the crew has iPod chargers in their racks. Which I'm sure is just a charging usb, but we don't have those. We don't even have plugs in the rack, I think that is more for fire prevention though.

But like someone said, I'm pretty damn sure that they aren't going to advertise all of their cool new stuff on national TV. So I'm sure it was probably more of a recruiting video to get young British people to come out and work in the apprentice program. Or join the submarine force.

Another thing that is surprising is that it takes them 14 years to make one of those. Our shipyards are only (they had to slow down due to funding) producing 1 a year each (there are 2 yards). But they are assembled much like this one, in modules, if you will.

Just another submarine IMO, nothing any more special than what we are building. I would like to go up against one though, lol. When they said that they thought that it will be the quietest submarine in the world... uh, about that. There will be few nuclear powered boats that can be as quiet as a diesel boat is, I'd be surprised if this is one of them due to space limitations in being a fast attack submarine. Z06 knows what I'm talking about!
                            04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Comment

Submarines are built according to "classes" but they are specific classes, and never a generalization like "world class."

Normally the first ship of any given class lends its name to the class it belongs to. For example, the first Thresher class submarine was the USS Thresher.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
                              X