No announcement yet.

Legal question about a school holding a child back in first grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure there are kids who need help, but damn it seems like that number is growing and growing.
    ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

All I can think of is the "read a book" song.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
        I'm sure there are kids who need help, but damn it seems like that number is growing and growing.
        So is our population. So is our knowledge of learning disabilities. Trust me, I'm the guy who wishes kids were spanked in school like when I was young. A lot of the conditions are real. The number that need help is way higher today than when I was young. My son is in elementary school. He has more kids in his school than what i had in my high school, and I went to a 3A high school in a state that only went to 4A.

Comment

Actually the percentages are very likely the same, but many of your classmates were undiagnosed with many of the same issues mentioned above.
          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
          86 SVO - Sold
          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
            Actually the percentages are very likely the same, but many of your classmates were undiagnosed with many of the same issues mentioned above.
            This.

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
              This.
              I was most likely one of them. I remember in third grade the teachers trying to convince my dad I had adhd and to medicate me but he would have none of it. I went to school in midland and the school paid for me to go to San Angelo state for an IQ test, I don't remember what the number was, I was in the 4th or 5th grade but it was very. high. I had a tough time in school, it wasn't very hard and I wasn't interested. I somehow made it through medication and special ed free, go figure. I took the asvab when I joined the military and I scored very high on it as well, my recruiter wanted me to pick a job in the intellegence field, but I just wanted to be a lowly mechanic. I am honestly having a tough time in college because I just cant seem to get interested in it and the studying and what not. It might just be that I'm lazy, but I don't feel I am as dumb as my grades reflect. Alas I am drunk and rambling again.:bBishope:
              ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Autism seems to be the one I see diagnosed quite frequently among my kids' friends. While there are certainly cases of actual Autistic behavior, there seems to be a fine line between "mild Autism" and "my kid is out of control and won't listen to me".

I've got to believe that (in some cases) the child's behavioral issues are the real root behind their learning "disabilities". Maybe they have an actual disability and maybe they don't, but if the kid wont sit still in his chair, pay attention, and follow directions - it's beside the point.

Not speaking about anyone in particular in this thread - just in general. Just my $.02
                - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

if the teacher doesnt think he has mastered the skills for that grade then why would he need to move on to the next level?

Comment

Originally posted by coley View Post
                    My parents adopted my seven year old nephew recently, he has been living with them the last several years. He is a very bright child and had a little trouble academically at the first of the year. He has now brought all his grades up to A's and B's except for reading, he still has a D in that due to the fact that he is not reading his reading assignment out load in the allotted time. He does a good job reading with little to no errors except for taking 10-15 seconds longer then the teacher thinks he should.

The teacher told my parents that he needs to be held back because she feels
                    That he is not ready because he is to slow. My parents explained the emotional problems and these recent adoption that he has gone through but still insist that that he should be held back. My parents told her they do not agree (so does his therapist) with holding him back in first grade. The teacher told them that they do not have a choice in it. My parents are calling their attorney on Monday and having another meeting with the school about it.

Question is can the state of Oklahoma legally hold a child back without parents consent??

There is a history with the school and my parents before over some legal issues.
                    my GF is a 3rd grade teacher and she says some of the kids cant even read at 1st grade level when they walk in at the first of the year. kicking the can down the road wont help him. instead of suing why not get him some summer school help?

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                      my GF is a 3rd grade teacher and she says some of the kids cant even read at 1st grade level when they walk in at the first of the year. kicking the can down the road wont help him. instead of suing why not get him some summer school help?

Originally posted by Bill
                      Weeeeeellllll.... Looks like we've got ourselves a reader.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                        This was going to be my suggestion, even though I don't know if that's available for kids that young and so forth.

Either way, if your parents persist on pushing him up a grade and succeed - they better have him working hard on school work during the summer.

Pushing him when he is not ready is not doing him any favors. Between his personal problems that he is bouncing back from and being behind, he'll struggle. Then God forbid kids start busting his balls about being what they'll call "stupid", "retarded" and so forth.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                        X