Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever build a foundation for a hot tub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever build a foundation for a hot tub?

Wife and I recently purchased a hot tub and its sitting in my garage until I build the foundation. I have debating doing the concrete slab, however it seems a little more permanent than Id rather go. So I was reading online and apparently you can make a hot tub foundation using wood if done correctly. However, I cannot really find many pictures or examples on how to build them.

The hot tub is basically an 82" square... I was thinking of maybe digging down about 1/2 or 1 foot down, fill with sand and top off with gravel... then put down 4x4s with supports down the middle with plywood on top...

do you guys think that would be enough?

My dad built his by digging a few feet down and pouring concrete columns to support the rest of the base...even with the beam supports it sank on one side. I would suggest doing it properly the first time. Concrete can be demoed

Comment

Sounds like enough... Foot down with the supports buttressed in by the sand and gravel. ****edit water weight is a lot depending on what kind of ground you are starting with watch for that too.

Watch the water and if it is deeper on one side of the tub use the sand and gravel in a concrete pad.

Comment

basically something like this is what I was thinking...

Comment

8lbs/gal. + people fornicating in a tub = an issue eventually if not done properly.

Out of all the hot tubs I've been in, the ones with a proper slab last a very long time, while the ones without a good foundation settled weird and had all sorts of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
            8lbs/gal. + people fornicating in a tub = an issue eventually if not done properly.

Out of all the hot tubs I've been in, the ones with a proper slab last a very long time, while the ones without a good foundation settled weird and had all sorts of problems.
            Yep! Mine's been doing just fine since '09, and there's been a shitton of shenanigans in this one!

Comment

well i see the wood deck built around it, but what is it sitting on top of?

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
                A cover... Great to have in the winter to keep the heat in. Great to have anytime to keep dirt/bugs out. Best ones lock so you don't have to worry so much about a rugrat getting in and drowning. When I get my next one it will have a padlock capable one on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
                  4x4's with concrete footers

Comment

Originally posted by Couver View Post
                    A cover... Great to have in the winter to keep the heat in. Great to have anytime to keep dirt/bugs out. Best ones lock so you don't have to worry so much about a rugrat getting in and drowning. When I get my next one it will have a padlock capable one on it.
                    I'm pretty sure the op meant is it on the slab like the deck... It looks like it would be recessed in the slab or those are huge steps

Comment

Originally posted by silversleeper View Post
                      I'm pretty sure the op meant is it on the slab like the deck... It looks like it would be recessed in the slab or those are huge steps

LOL color me simple... I glanced at it, counted 3 stairs and did not realize they were so big. We used to have 3 and would still have to hook a leg over. Totally missed the recess.

Comment

Originally posted by silversleeper View Post
                        It is recessed, I'll post-up a complete photobucket build of the whole backyard at some point.

Comment

For mine I just had a concrete slap poured.

Comment

You're better off using rock than concrete. If you use concrete, to avoid puddling, you should have a slant. But then that makes the hot tub un-level. The rock will drain.

Comment

Dont forget to have the foundation sloped to allow the water that drains from under the tub to drain away and dont puddle under the tub.

Comment

Working...
                              X