Building from 1908 is going down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building from 1908 is going down

They are getting ready to take down one of the oldest buildings in downtown Dallas. It was built in 1908 and currently no one occuppies it. I don't understand why Dallas keeps taking down these awesome looking buildings instead of renevating them and trying to put them to use.

They did restore the old Merc building and it is badass now. Its opportunities like this that Dallas fails to realize would help make downtown Dallas a place for people to want to live.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Demol...151647035.html

DALLAS — Plans for a large implosion have rattled the faithful at St. Jude Catholic Chapel, a quiet refuge tucked between historic buildings in the heart of downtown Dallas.

“We are concerned with the demolition so close by,” said Annette Taylor of the Archdiocese of Dallas.

Steps away from the chapel, which opened in 1968, crews are prepping to implode the 15-story Praetorian Building on Main Street. The empty office tower, built in 1908, was once considered Dallas’ first skyscraper, yet its owners plan to tear it down as early as this summer.

“It’s going to be happening,” said Michael Tregoning, chief financial officer at Dallas-based Headington Oil. “We’ve been planning this for a long time.”

Headington Oil owns the property and also developed the Joule Hotel across the street. Tregoning said he hopes to implode the building sometime between late summer and early fall.

Yet demolition plans are troubling neighbors, who complain they’ve been largely left in the dark about specifics and any potential impact.

“It’s definitely going to cause some havoc,” said Tom McGill, owner of the Sol Irelandes restaurant, which sits feet from the tower. “I just want them to level with us! Tell us what’s going on.”

The Archdiocese said neither the city nor the developer has contacted the Church about the demolition plans.

“I think people in our construction office were a bit surprised that we’ve heard nothing,” Annette Taylor said.

What’s also unclear is what will replace the Praetorian. Its demolition comes as the Joule undergoes a year-long, $78 million expansion.

Meanwhile, crews have been removing asbestos from the tower for weeks.

Already, neighbors are growing irritated. Plywood partitions now cover a pedestrian pathway that doubles as patio seating for restaurants. McGill said it’s driving away his patio business and compares it to dining in a “shed.”

“It’s a big turn-off, because you miss the whole ambiance of being outside in downtown Dallas,” McGill said.

He and others worry the problems will only grow as the implosion date approaches. Rumors have swirled that demolition crews will close off that pedestrian pathway altogether, and businesses might have to shut down.

“They’ve already told me I’m going to be shut down,” said Scott Taylor, who owns a newsstand on the pathway. “It’s just going to look like a war zone for an extended period of time.”

Property owners also worry an implosion could damage neighboring buildings dating back more than a century.

The Catholic church worries about rattling delicate mosaics in its chapel.

Scott Taylor and others would prefer crews dismantle the building slowly — floor-by-floor — instead of in a single, big explosion.

“It’s the fear of the impact it’s going to have on the area,” he said.

Tregoning insists his company has been very clear with neighbors about the implosion.

“We have gone to great lengths to make people comfortable,” he said. “We have a huge investment downtown; we certainly don’t want to dilute the value of the block.”

Although he insisted the demolition plan is very well thought out and has been approved by the city, he couldn’t provide any details about whether nearby streets will be blocked or whether businesses will be asked to close.

“I’m not sure what’s going to be blocked,” he told News 8. “It must be a slow news day; all of this has been answered so many times.”

Later, Mikel Bowers, an attorney for the company, called News 8 to say the demolition plan is, in fact, “still evolving.”

Bowers denied that neighbors have been left in the dark. He said engineers have expressed that an implosion will not damage nearby buildings, nor should it seriously interrupt business.

“There will be no closing of businesses,” Bowers said, adding the pedestrian pathway will remain open. “Pedestrians will be able to move through there... We are making the area better, in our opinion.”

remodeled in the 60's

That's a bummer.

Comment

This is the Merc now.

Comment

Because Dallas is a money town, needs as many skyscappers it can to bring more big companies here.

Yea it sux but that's pretty much what cities do now except San Antonio. Heck the tallest building is a freaking Hotel. SA skyline sadest one in the state.

Damn blue collar town

Comment

Yeah fuck that advancement shit! Let's keep Dallas as antiquated as possible!!!

I'm all for the jobs this creates and updates it brings. If that building had historical significance it may be different...but I don't see any listed.

Comment

insuring, maintaining, and operating a building built before cars were sold to the public far outweighs, demo and new construction costs.
            pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              Yeah fuck that advancement shit! Let's keep Dallas as antiquated as possible!!!

I'm all for the jobs this creates and updates it brings. If that building had historical significance it may be different...but I don't see any listed.
              You don't think renovating it, staffing it for whatever they would use it for is not creating jobs?

We all know what they are going to do. Blow it up, and make it a parking lot. Yes that is advancement.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                You don't think renevating it, staffing it for whatever they would use it for is not creating jobs?

We all know what they are going to do. Blow it up, and make it a parking lot. Yes that is advancement.
                i hope they make it a library.

god bless.
                It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

You don't think renevating it, staffing it for whatever they would use it for is not creating jobs?

have you ever payed to heat and A/C a building with absolutely 0 insulation?
                  pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
                    have you ever payed to heat and A/C a building with absolutely 0 insulation?
                    If its renovated, insulation wouldn't go in?

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                      i hope they make it a library.

god bless.
                      Thank you sir. I suck.

Comment

Thank you sir. I suck.
                        haha!

god bless.
                        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

If its renovated, insulation wouldn't go in?
                          you don't get it, nevermind.
                          pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Meh, who gives a fuck. In order to renovate it you need to have a private party footing the bill. God knows you can't trust the city government to do a god damn thing right. Besides, Ross Perot Jr. can't even get people interested in brand new buildings in downtown Dallas much less some shit that is old. They should bulldoze that whole shit hole of an area into the fucking Trinity and include Victory plaza along with it.
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

This is the Merc now.

Truly a beautiful building. I can see it from my loft-

Originally posted by lincolnboy
                              After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Working...
                              X