Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a letter from the Air Force today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
    In today's mail we had a letter from "Air Force Athletics" addressed to my 16 yoa.

It was a letter from the Air Force Academy's head hockey coach saying he was at the Rocky Mountain District Camp that was held two weeks ago. The head coach and his recruiting coordinator had been at the camp and seen my son play. My son had been chosen from the top players in the Texas region (OK, TX, LA, etc) to go to this showcase.

The letter is an invitation to the 12th Annual Air Force Academy Midget Showcase.

The funny thing is that we played a tourney at Colorado Springs several years ago and one of the games was on the Air Force Academy's rink.

It looks like we will be going to Colorado Springs in June for them to take another look.

Time to start kissing some Congressional ass for a possible appointment..

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
      I think the girl we know went through the Gov's office. I don't remember the details, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
        This, Air Force Academy FTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
          Ya, the admission process is tough. My son has been building up his resume for it and has his appointment letters confirmed if he meets all the other criteria, come time for graduation.

Good luck to your boy.
          Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
          yeah going to take a lot more than being an athlete to get in there, I think it takes congressional nominations where each member of congress or senate has a limited number of nominations to give. Get him in other extra curricular activities outside of sports and some volunteering in that you probably already do since you work in the public service area.

What a great opportunity and I hope he chooses to go that route. It will only change his life for the better. Being a stud at hockey and being recruited will help him out for sure, especially if he isn't able to pull down those high ACT/SAT scores. I can only hope that when I have kids they are in the same position as your son some day!
          My son scored very well in the PSAT and has been getting letters from places I didn't even know had schools. We must have recieved almost 60 letters. TCU was in the mix.

He is a very good student, straight A-s except high B's in a few of his Pre-AP classes which are weighted.

He likes the military, but me being former Marine, I was trying to steer him away from it and to college. This does seem a very viable alternative if he chooses.

My wife's family is old family friends with a congressman. I think we can get it done if my son wants to go this route.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
            Donsvo probably got the same letter!
            Shhhh don't tell him. He was so happy about the letter he framed it and was more excited than a kid on Christmas morning!

Comment

Good stuff, do your best to make sure he's diligent with the SAT prep.
              Originally posted by davbrucas
              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                He likes the military, but me being former Marine, I was trying to steer him away from it and to college.
                Curious, why are you trying to steer him from it? I could see not being a career man, but there is a lot to learn from the military that you won't learn straight into college.

I can make 1001 assumptions about why, but was curious why *you* are choosing to sway him from it.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  Curious, why are you trying to steer him from it? I could see not being a career man, but there is a lot to learn from the military that you won't learn straight into college.

I can make 1001 assumptions about why, but was curious why *you* are choosing to sway him from it.
                  Wished I had gone to college then to the Marines. A military college is all the better. When I got out of the Marines life was in full swing and going to college we to difficult. I still should have sacrificed what I had to and stayed the college course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1042 View Post
                    Maybe they can teach him how to drive in the military?
                    lol
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Come on, Matt, being in the Air Force and being in the Marines are two completely different worlds. The AF Academy is a beautiful campus and the men in the Air Force are probably better looking than any Marine chick I ever saw.
                      sigpic
                      Old Fords Rule

Comment

Tell him to get a ROTC scholarship if he wants to actually enjoy college.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post

I did my time, and was lucky enough to walk away.

I've seen guys not make it back, and I recently found out that an old co-worker's son was maimed by an IED.

Nobody wants to see their kids KIA or wounded.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch View Post
                            Come on, Matt, being in the Air Force and being in the Marines are two completely different worlds. The AF Academy is a beautiful campus and the men in the Air Force are probably better looking than any Marine chick I ever saw.

Preaching to the choir.

I was stationed TAD to Homestead. Our TAD barracks at the AFB was leaps and bounds above anything we had in the Corps. In the Marines we slept E4 and under 3 to a room. The AF had single rooms, cable TV, small refrigerators, and no rules against alcohol as long as you were 21. You had to be a Staff NCO (E6) to have alcohol in a Marine barracks.

The food is also way above Marine chow. While at Homestead you could eat anything you wanted at any time, and I wasn't used to getting grapefruit or orange juice so I overdosed on it. I got acidic mouth ulcers from drinking so much juice.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch View Post
                              Any pussy can join and be a marine, hell I shit marines every morning

Comment

Working...
                              X