Rebuilt title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilt title

What the deal with rebuilt titles? I've been looking at cars off and on and all the "good deals" seem to have a rebuilt title. Is this something to steer clear of? Anyone have experience? And yes I did my research prior to this...
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Just a big red flag. Some say it cuts the book value in about half.

Comment

Just depends on why it was rebuilt. If it was theft recovery, that isn't that big a deal. If it was flood damaged, I'd steer clear.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        Just depends on why it was rebuilt. If it was theft recovery, that isn't that big a deal. If it was flood damaged, I'd steer clear.
        exactly but if you ever trade it in to dealer expect half value for individuals expect 20-30% off clean title cost.

most insurances wont give you full coverage for salvage vehicles so if your financing that will stop your bank right there.

Comment

The big question is why it was salvaged in the first place. Fire and flood are the ones that you absolutely stay away from. Theft recovery and wrecks aren't such a big deal if repaired properly.

Knocks 20-30% off the value of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
            most insurances wont give you full coverage for salvage vehicles so if your financing that will stop your bank right there.
            Rebuilt is what you get after salvage. In my experience salvage is good for liability only. You get it inspected with a green sheet like an out of state vehicle, register it, and get a rebuilt title. Then you can insure it like a normal vehicle once it has a rebuilt title. Never had a problem myself.

Good rule of thumb is rebuilt titles are worth approximately 65% of book of a clean titled vehicle in similar condition.

I would stay away from them unless you're really familiar with whatever type of vehicle you're looking at and you know how to spot "hidden" issues.
            US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

If it's a Viper they often have rebuilt titles, nearly any collision with a Viper that's a few years old will result in a total loss. Chances are the collision wasn't bad and I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just check it out thoroughly.
              US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                Just a big red flag. Some say it cuts the book value in about half.
                This sums it up.
                2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
                2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
                2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Don't waste your money

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                    The big question is why it was salvaged in the first place. Fire and flood are the ones that you absolutely stay away from. Theft recovery and wrecks aren't such a big deal if repaired properly.

Knocks 20-30% off the value of the car.
                    Typically its closer to 40-50% and most banks won't touch them on financing.

Comment

I got full coverage on a reconditioned title vehicle. Which I then cart wheeled and totaled out. lol

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                        I got full coverage on a reconditioned title vehicle. Which I then cart wheeled and totaled out. lol
                        Well at least you were covered! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                          Well at least you were covered! LOL!

And they gave me 2 grand more than I had paid for it over a year earlier. I still would have rather not done that, however...

Comment

My 03 cobra was rebuilt title 1/4 panel was hit. Car was mint sold it for $20k
                            and i had full covrage insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
                              Typically its closer to 40-50% and most banks won't touch them on financing.

Depends on the car, but not so much anymore. When I was still dealing cars, most people didn't give two shits about the rebuilt, as long as it was cheaper. Again though, I was dealing in cheap cars, nothing new. Still, you are out of your mind if you think you can find a cobra, or a corvette for 50% off because of a rebuilt title.

Comment

Working...
                              X