Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you cut R panels? Use for walls or roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you cut R panels? Use for walls or roof?

I've got a shed project coming up and a stack of R panels of varied size.

How do you cut it? Seems like shears would be a big pain. Can I use a circular saw with some kind of blade? Looking for safe but fast.

Would I be better off using this as roofing or sides? Shed should be about 12 x 14, wood frame, peaked roof.

A recip saw with a metal blade will work. Never tried it with a circular saw but have cut flat sheet metal with one and that was an experience I'd rather not repeat.

Comment

When I built my shop I cut dozens of R panels with a circular saw and a cut off wheel. It is safe and quick, but would recommend gloves and eye protection.
      Trick is support. If it is not supported enough the fucker just bounces all over and eats up the blade QUICK.

Comment

If you want it to rust, use a circular saw. All of those hot metal shavings bed into the paint and eventually rust. One of the number one causes of warranty voiding is cutting with a circular saw.

See if you can find a swenson chop shear, if not cut by hand. The edges cut with a saw are also more prone to rust.

R panel is typically used for walls. PBR panel is used for roofing. But, you can use either one with good results for you shed. They sell a tool at home depot that goes into a drill and works as a shear with a handle. This tool does a pretty good job at cutting over the top of a rib. It is typically found near the AC stuff.

Comment

I usually use a electric die grinder with a 4 inch thin cutoff wheel. If you buy the better wheels they last awhile and cut thru the panel like butter.

Comment

The guys that built dad's shop used a nibbler, cut through that shit likity split.
            G'Day Mate

Comment

Cut mine on a table saw with an old blade in backwards.

Comment

Plasma cutter will cut that stuff quick and easy especially if you use a roller guide and straight edge

Comment

Originally posted by DFWtechie View Post
                  Plasma cutter will cut that stuff quick and easy especially if you use a roller guide and straight edge
                  So your telling me I went through hell trying to cut that shit with a sawzall building my deer blind last year when I had a plasma sitting in the corner lol. It never even occurred to me to use the plasma because of the ribs I guess.

Comment

Skilsaw with a metal cutting blade.
                    07 GT500
                    05 SRT10
                    88 turbocoupe T-bird
                    93 Cobra
                    86 coupe
                    Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                      So your telling me I went through hell trying to cut that shit with a sawzall building my deer blind last year when I had a plasma sitting in the corner lol. It never even occurred to me to use the plasma because of the ribs I guess.
                      Use the uncut side of another peice of R panel as your straight edge. The wheels on a roller guide will run along that all day long.

Comment

Depending on how much im doing and how thick. I use a razor blade and make a score line a couple times and itll break right apart. If going over the ridges saw.

Comment

These work pretty good:

Sometimes you gotta flip the tool over to get up the ridges.
                          If you use a circular saw, you can use a plywood blade turned around backwards. Sounds like hell, but cuts just fine.

Comment

After reading this thread, I have the smell of burnt metal in my nose.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWtechie View Post
                              Use the uncut side of another peice of R panel as your straight edge. The wheels on a roller guide will run along that all day long.
                              I going to be starting on a second blind here in a few months so I will get some wheels ordered and give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X