'12-'13 Mustang owners w/o a spare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '12-'13 Mustang owners w/o a spare

If you bought a '12-'13 Mustang that is a Brembo car , or a 2.73 geared V-6....you know you have no spare, or jack, you have the "temporary mobility kit".

If you go to the dealer & price out the spare wheel, tire, jack & lug wrench....it's like $674. But Ford makes a kit, part # CR3J-1K007, it's about $300. I pushed the GM of the dealership and got it for just under $200.

I don't get the bs kit they put in these cars. 95% of the time you have a blow out not just a flat. Wtf are you suppose to do then?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
      I don't get the bs kit they put in these cars. 95% of the time you have a blow out not just a flat. Wtf are you suppose to do then?
      I'm guessing on the Brembo & 2.73 geared V-6 cars, Ford was really trying to keep under a a certain weight goal.

Comment

I would bet it has to do with wheel diameter on the Brembo cars to clear the front calipers, and its just being a cheap ass on the v-6 cars.

Never liked the idea of not having a spare.

Just curious here... Who has checked the spare tire for proper air pressure in their car recently? Followed a car (not for very long) that had a spare that was just about flat last week.
        Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

Originally posted by SC457A View Post
          I would bet it has to do with wheel diameter on the Brembo cars to clear the front calipers, and its just being a cheap ass on the v-6 cars.

Never liked the idea of not having a spare.

Just curious here... Who has checked the spare tire for proper air pressure in their car recently? Followed a car (not for very long) that had a spare that was just about flat last week.
          I stopped to change a flat tire for a lady last summer. She had a blow-out and was standing by the side of the road with her little boy. I stopped and when I looked at the spare tire, and it was flat AND had the cords showing. She was oblivious. I had to take the wheel/tire to a gas station and air it up before I could put it on. This was in the middle of the day, middle of summer, and I about passed out from the heat when I got done.

Comment

I check mine on trips, but I also have little air compressors in every car.

Comment

Originally posted by SC457A View Post
              You may be right on thre Brembo cars. On the V-6 cars, it's only the 2.73 geared automatics (the 31 MPG one) that have no spare. Manual trans V-6 cars, and 3.31 V-6 cars have spares.

It's not cost, as even the cheapest base V-6er's with a manual have a spare, but my loaded V-6 Premium automatic had no spare.

Comment

My car didn't come with a spare and the kit didn't work for shit.

Smallest wheel I can fit over my front calipers is "18.
                HD Parts
                paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
                  It's not cost, as even the cheapest base V-6er's with a manual have a spare, but my loaded V-6 Premium automatic had no spare.
                  Strange.. other than weight for fuel savings and cost per unit, its kinda dumb to delete the spare.

Ford... Some of the things I questioned for years, while working on some of their screw ups over the years. The Windstar axle recalls rank high on that list by the way. Worst recall ever.
                  Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

when i worked at sam packs ford in plano a guy drove his 2011 mustang 5.0 from 121 and dallas north toll way where his tire blew, all the way to the dealership.... Fucked up the rim and alot of other shit and demanded new everything on the car that was damaged. We did... for free, then put in a spare and jack kit.

My v6 i had didnt come with a spare and i would do the same thing if i blew a tire out, that or get a tow from them for free
                    2014 Ford F250 4X4 *DD*
                    1992 Ford Mustang GT

Previous Vehicles:
                    1989 Ford Mustang 4 cyl. Turbo coupe
                    1986 Ford Mustang GT T-Top
                    2011 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
                    2011 Ford Mustang V6
                    2011 Ford Mustang GT
                    2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
                    2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Ldecharmoy View Post
                      when i worked at sam packs ford in plano a guy drove his 2011 mustang 5.0 from 121 and dallas north toll way where his tire blew, all the way to the dealership.... Fucked up the rim and alot of other shit and demanded new everything on the car that was damaged. We did... for free, then put in a spare and jack kit.

My v6 i had didnt come with a spare and i would do the same thing if i blew a tire out, that or get a tow from them for free
                      Does your insurance not include free towing? Mine does, and that's exactly what I'll use next time I have a blow out.
                      HD Parts
                      paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Yep, I've got towing with AAA, towing and rental car with my insurance, and Ford will tow it until 36k. It will be a pain in the ass if/when it does happen, but I'll deal with it then. I might look into a spare kit from Ford if like you say I can get it for < $200.
                        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Find a used kit from a 2005 and up

Comment

Working...
                          X