Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health insurance companies are getting bolder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health insurance companies are getting bolder.

We had a meeting today at work covering new/changed benefits in our work insurance. We have the $500.00/person deductible we must meet before coverage by the company kicks in. That has stayed the same. Before we had 80/20 coverage by the company. Starting 2013, you must meet 3 steps with a fully covered preventative system. If you do not pass all the requirements of the preventative system, you coverage is changed to 60/40.

Specifically targeting smokers, high blood pressure, BMI,Cholesterol, Etc....

Anybody else have insurance doing this? Our company is self insured with a blue cross blue shield administrator. Guess they are fighting back against unhealthy people now.

So if you are a smoker and fat with high blood pressure, you will be on the 60/40 plan

60/40 it is!
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Insurance as a whole sux. They are selling you fear. Fear that something bad will happen. Then the govt comes along and tries to force you to buy it. What ever happened to personal responsability?

Off the box, no I haven't seen the things you mention yet though I'm sure it is coming. As soon as they think they aren't making enough or you are taking too much of their pie, BAM, surcharge, change/deny coverage.
      Rich

Comment

Health companies I can understand because if you are any or all of those, it will probably impact your health.

Outside of health insurance though I would tell you to get bent.
        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
          60/40 it is!
          LOL, you could see all the smokers in the room getting pissed.

You have to meet a BMI of 30. I have no clue where that is on the fat scale. I might be in trouble there, don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
            LOL, you could see all the smokers in the room getting pissed.

You have to meet a BMI of 30. I have no clue where that is on the fat scale. I might be in trouble there, don't know.
            BMI is misleading though, so they cannot go solely on that, though I'm sure if you smoke and have hypertension, they'll probably know that you're in the fat BMI category and not the ripped category.
            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
              BMI is misleading though, so they cannot go solely on that, though I'm sure if you smoke and have hypertension, they'll probably know that you're in the fat BMI category and not the ripped category.
              Kind of like having cholesterol over 200, what if the good stuff is really high?

Comment

My BMI is almost 30 and Im probably on 10-12% body fat. BMI is stupid for people who lift weights.

But I have no complaint against insurance companies for doing this.

Comment

Holy shit, I am right at 32 BMI according to the height vs weight thing.

Comment

A lot of companies have been doing that for years.

Comment

Ours is put into a spending account, and it's 10/90 until that's gone, and then covered at 100%. At least it was when I broke my leg.

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
                        Holy shit, I am right at 32 BMI according to the height vs weight thing.
                        As has been said before, BMI is a bunch of hog wash. At my fittest I was considered "obese" on the BMI scale, with only 10-12% bodyfat..

Comment

Working...
                        X