Bad. Ass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad. Ass.

This dusty, rough-looking example of a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray would draw a sizable amount of interest from any Corvette collector. Its billing as the Corvette given to astronaut Neil Armstrong, then kept in a barn for a few decades until now, makes it a fascinating piece of history to float into an online auction.

The eBay seller in Florida claims that despite much wear and a thick coat of dust, this Vette hasn't been driven since 1981. Here's the explanation for its history, including the reminder that being a NASA astronaut once meant getting a free car for a year:

This Corvette was delivered to Mr. Neil Armstrong the first man on the moon, on December 15, 1966 from Jim Rathman Chevrolet in Melbourne Florida under a program initiated by Mr. Rathman to provide our astronauts with a Corvette. They would keep the Corvette for a year and then turn it in and get a new one. This Corvette was bought by a NASA employee when Mr. Armstrong turned it in and was retained by the owner until I purchased the Corvette from him in February of 2012. The corvette had been in a climate controlled environment and not driven since Sept. of 1981.

Despite its stay off road, the Vette shows some major signs of abuse, with damage around the wheel wells where flares were added at one point and front fender, along with new-original bumpers installed by the seller, who claims the only other un-original pieces on the 427-engine Vette are a water pump, carburetor, wheels and muffler. The engine now runs, but the Vette has only been driven short distances -- not that it would matter much, since the speedometer's mileage reading gave up in the 1970s. As for proof of authenticity, the seller offers the original GM Protect-O-Plate -- a factory-installed piece of metal stamped with Armstrong's data along with other specs for the Vette.

With four days of bidding left, the price has hit $120,000 but the seller's reserve has yet to be met. If it doesn't get enough thrust to leave eBay's orbit, it's a prime candidate to make one giant leap at a major auto auction.

More pictures in the article.

This dusty, rough-looking example of a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray would draw a sizable amount of interest from any Corvette collector. Its billing as the Corvette given to astronaut Neil Armstrong, then kept in a barn for a few decades until now, makes it a fascinating piece of history to float into an online [...]

Good god. Did he drive that fucker to the moon?
    sigpic

Comment

Neat barn find. I'm sure some avid Vette collector will pick it up and restore it. It looks to be rough shape though so it will cost a small fortune to restore. Eeek!

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is how that vette made it back to earth:

sigpic

Comment

Now i'm stuck watching this: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...-major-boobage
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
            prolly the best episode ever.

Comment

It's flared and the "base" 390hp 427. It's going to cost $100k to restore it, and then you have a 390HP 427 coupe that's worth 100-120k + whatever value Armstrong as the previous owner brings to the table. I'm curious what the reserve is, and what the seller paid, because at the price it's at now, I don't see any money being made, and probably being in the hole 50-75k. But what do I know!

Comment

Its my understanding that all the astronauts got Corvette's back then from a dealership. I did a job a few years back for a guy in Southlake that had one of them. But its prestige. Also blue.

Edit: My bad. I read it again...
                Photobucket

Comment

eBay link?

Comment

Oh and of course it's a barn find, and we all know people get big boners over those, but there are plenty of barn find vettes out there, just none with Neil Armstrong's name on them, but then again, they can be had much much cheaper than this one!!

Comment

Neat history despite the rough shape.
                      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                        Oh and of course it's a barn find, and we all know people get big boners over those, but there are plenty of barn find vettes out there, just none with Neil Armstrong's name on them, but then again, they can be had much much cheaper than this one!!
                        Dude, you're not going to believe what my friend thinks his '67 327 car is worth. It's garage kept, but hasn't been started, much less driven in 35 years, and he thinks he could sell it on Craigslist tomorrow for $100k+. Whatever @ that.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Ya know....those cars were neato back in the 60's and I'm sure they can still run a decent lap around a track if driven hard....but they ride like a dump truck, they are insanely spartan for creature comforts (compared to even early 70's standards), and there are several other mid 60's DOMESTIC cars I would rather own than one of those money pits.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                            Dude, you're not going to believe what my friend thinks his '67 327 car is worth. It's garage kept, but hasn't been started, much less driven in 35 years, and he thinks he could sell it on Craigslist tomorrow for $100k+. Whatever @ that.
                            better throw in some cheese with that deal.
                            Originally posted by talisman
                            I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                            Originally posted by AdamLX
                            If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                            Because fuck you, that's why
                            Originally posted by 80coupe
                            nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                            Originally posted by Rick Modena
                            ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                            Originally posted by Jester
                            Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

I had heard about him getting this car years ago, but I never knew what happened to it. I am glad to see it is still around.
                              2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
                              2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
                              2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Working...
                              X