No announcement yet.

does anyone grow their own crops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grow tomatoes, onions, jalapeƱos, strawberries, and have plum, peach, and pear trees. The last several years, we have had a problem in Haslet with no bees. Tomatoes bloom, but no tomatoes. Sux. I skipped last year, and this year looks good so far.
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

He turned thirty-five last Sunday
      In his hair he found some gray

But he still ain't changed his lifestyle
      He likes it better the old way

So he grows a little garden in the back yard by the fence
      He's consuming what he's growing nowadays in self defense

He get's out there in the twilight zone
      Sometimes when it just don't make no sense

if you dont know it, fuck you.

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
        We are going to construct an aquaponics set-up at our new location. Fruit, veggies and Talapia.
        you can't grow fish sir!

just kidding, i take it you are going to stock a pond.
        www.hppmotorsports.com
        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by woodstock View Post
          I built an aquaponics system and grow a small variety of veggies. I found strawberries are not easy to grow as they are somewhat temperamental. My cucumbers are going crazy.
          Isn't it called hydroponic? Not an expert, just wanted to know the difference if there was one. I saw a very advanced setup at the science museum in Chicago under a year ago. Had a really cool LED system for artificial sunlight.
          Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
          Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Originally posted by BajaBob View Post
            Isn't it called hydroponic? Not an expert, just wanted to know the difference if there was one. I saw a very advanced setup at the science museum in Chicago under a year ago. Had a really cool LED system for artificial sunlight.
            same principle, quite different practice. seems hydroponics need to be done in a clean room effectively. aqua might be right for a home.

www.hppmotorsports.com
            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Yes,
              Ded

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                We are going to construct an aquaponics set-up at our new location. Fruit, veggies and Talapia.
                The challenge is keeping the PH balanced. Fish and plants really only share a very thin "we are both happy" PH range. Most store bought fish live in tap water with a PH of 7.5+. Plants, esp fruits tend to prefer more acidic ph levels of 5.5. I killed off an aquarium full when I started using the water for some peppers, and a dwarf Meyers lemon tree. Droped the PH to 5.5 and the fish all died. Maybe guadually lower the ph over a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by momo View Post
                  you can't grow fish sir!

just kidding, i take it you are going to stock a pond.
                  Yep. Those Talapia will overpopulated in a heartbeat too.
                  Originally posted by BajaBob View Post
                  Check out some of the YouTube vids on it. Basically, the aqua garden (fish stock tank) supplies the nutrient-rich water to the fruits and veggies and the water cycles back to the fish after a little treatment.
                  Originally posted by Diabolic View Post
                  The challenge is keeping the PH balanced. Fish and plants really only share a very thin "we are both happy" PH range. Most store bought fish live in tap water with a PH of 7.5+. Plants, esp fruits tend to prefer more acidic ph levels of 5.5. I killed off an aquarium full when I started using the water for some peppers, and a dwarf Meyers lemon tree. Droped the PH to 5.5 and the fish all died. Maybe guadually lower the ph over a few months.
                  Ya, I've been involved with both water and waste water treatment for a few years. It'll be cake. More than just pH though. You still have to control your DO and BOD with some aeration too.

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
                    Does anybody here grow?
                    Originally posted by lincolnboy
                    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                      What I was thinking.
                      Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Denny-are you guys moving or just adding to the 'compound'? Did you start the garden for prepping purposes or just because?

I've been wanting to grow some fruits and veggies, but I have no idea how to do any of it so it's been keeping me from doing it. I think it's too late for this year, but I would like to do some reading on it so I can be ready for next year.

Good info in the thread...if you guys have any links for information or reading, post 'em up-I'd really be interested.

Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
                        Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
                        Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
                        You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

We are moving out of the continental US. The person who bought our home was trilled to see the garden in its condition.

I'll have some info for you tomorrow

Comment

I am about to transplant a bunch of stuff, I have about 100 red solo cups that I used as starters cups with 8 different kinds of peppers and 4 different kinds of onions. I used a hog wire panel, the type with I think 3" wire spacing, cut small notches in the bottom of the cups for excess water drainage, and sat the panel up on saw horses, with the cups basically stuck into the spaces. I only started this about three weeks ago, and the onions (planted from small bulbs) are about a foot tall, the peppers (from seeds) around four inches.

Stevo
                            Originally posted by SSMAN
                            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                              I am about to transplant a bunch of stuff, I have about 100 red solo cups that I used as starters cups with 8 different kinds of peppers and 4 different kinds of onions. I used a hog wire panel, the type with I think 3" wire spacing, cut small notches in the bottom of the cups for excess water drainage, and sat the panel up on saw horses, with the cups basically stuck into the spaces. I only started this about three weeks ago, and the onions (planted from small bulbs) are about a foot tall, the peppers (from seeds) around four inches.

Stevo
                              I really dig that idea. Is it too late to get some things started? What isn't too far into the season to plant and get some kind of results
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                                I really dig that idea. Is it too late to get some things started? What isn't too far into the season to plant and get some kind of results
                                From what I understand, peppers and onions should do okay being planted late, though the onions may not get as large as desired.

Stevo
                                Originally posted by SSMAN
                                ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Working...
                                X