No announcement yet.

Amazon.com starts collecting Sales Taxes in TX.. July 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sucks. I order something from Amazon at least once a month.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
      Every municipality has property tax. Apples and oranges.
      Indeed, but homeowners in Texas are taxed fairly high.

Comment

So much for shipping offsetting the tax....now it'll be a double whammy.
        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
          So much for shipping offsetting the tax....now it'll be a double whammy.
          Amazon Prime more than pays for itself if you use it enough. Fortunately, I do...

Also, many products on Amazon give you free standard shipping if your purchase is over 25$.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
            Amazon Prime more than pays for itself if you use it enough. Fortunately, I do...

Also, many products on Amazon give you free standard shipping if your purchase is over 25$.
            The free standard shipping offer for orders over $25 is a marketing ploy, and a very effective one. Many buyers will order an additional item they otherwise might not have intended to buy at that time in order to get free shipping. That being said I will wait until I have enough merchandise in mind to get free shipping before I place an order on Amazon, so I get taken in myself by that ploy. It's things that I would have bought anyway of course, but not necessarily at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
              The free standard shipping offer for orders over $25 is a marketing ploy, and a very effective one. Many buyers will order an additional item they otherwise might not have intended to buy at that time in order to get free shipping. That being said I will wait until I have enough merchandise in mind to get free shipping before I place an order on Amazon, so I get taken in myself by that ploy. It's things that I would have bought anyway of course, but not necessarily at one time.

Yea, it was the same for me before I got Prime. Now I order shit all the time. I still cross shop everything but quite often Amazon is either the best deal or very competitive.

For instance, In March I bought this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DN1T6M/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00"]Makita LXT211 Combo Kit[/ame] for $270.

The same tool kit cost $279 at Home Depot (it was higher in March) and $351 on New Egg (that is closer to Home Depot's original price). The tax savings made it a much better deal but I got it shipped in two days and I don't have to deal with the bullshit you can get at HD.

BTW, that combo kit is kick ass....

Comment

I don't see where people get uPset with this. Sales tax is one of the few constitutional taxes. To hell with the property and income bullshit. If all my income is taxed when I receive it, why should it be taxed when I use it for anything else?

Comment

I agree with Denny.

Comment

Just a reminder that Amazon has started charging sales tax for items delivered to Texas residents...

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                      Just a reminder that Amazon has started charging sales tax for items delivered to Texas residents...

Yep sucks...

Bought some keypad door locks for my back door and garage. Still MUCH cheaper then lowes/home depot though. Love being a prime member.

I order LOTS of things off amazon. Even if it is the same price in the store(after tax) at least then I don't have to go to the store anymore. It just shows up at my door. Paper towels, clothing detergent, light bulbs, etc.
                      "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
                        Yep sucks...

Bought some keypad door locks for my back door and garage. Still MUCH cheaper then lowes/home depot though. Love being a prime member.
                        I agree, but I will probably do a little more shopping around on other sites now.

Comment

Now if they could stop all the transshippers...

Comment

i am one of those weirdos who would rather walk into a store and buy it right then and there instead of online shopping

i don't mind spending the little bit extra to get it right then and to make sure it fits/works properly

Comment

Originally posted by grove rat View Post
                              i am one of those weirdos who would rather walk into a store and buy it right then and there instead of online shopping

i don't mind spending the little bit extra to get it right then and to make sure it fits/works properly
                              I pretty much do all of my shopping online. I just don't like stupid people and they are in abundance in the public world. The motherfuckers at the mall are the ones who piss me off the most. We're walking along, la-di-da, "Oh there's something that caught my eye! Let me stop right in the middle of the fucking path of other people to look and see if I might be interested, rather than walking up to the storefront to check it out!" Meanwhile I get the "hey!" treatment or sneers when I purposely run into them.
                              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Its like $8 more per every $100 you spend. Are you really going to stop shopping over such a small amount? B&M stores are still more expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X