Amazon.com starts collecting Sales Taxes in TX.. July 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon.com starts collecting Sales Taxes in TX.. July 1

The free ride is over. I'm a regular Amazon.com user but I don't see this stopping me from using them. At least not until I find another online retailer that doesn't charge sales taxes.

Amazon.com and Texas Comptroller Susan Combs said Friday that the online retailer will begin to collect Texas sales taxes beginning July 1, in an agreement that Combs said “resolves all sales tax issues between Texas and Amazon.”

Amazon said it will create at least 2,500 jobs in Texas and make at least $200 million in capital investment.

“We thank Amazon for partnering with us to find a solution that works for our state,” Combs, who has been trying to get Amazon.com to remit back sales taxes to the state, said in a release.

“This is an important step in leveling the playing field in Texas," she said. "However, Congress should enact federal legislation that will give states access to revenues that are already due, which would resolve this issue fairly for all retailers and all states.”

“Amazon looks forward to creating thousands of new jobs in Texas and we appreciate Comptroller Combs working with us to advance federal legislation,” Paul Misener, Amazon.com's vice president of global. public policy, said in a joint release with Combs. “We strongly support the creation of a simplified and equitable federal framework, because Congressional action will protect states’ rights, level the playing field for all sellers, and give states like Texas the ability to obtain all the sales tax revenue that is already due.”

Texas and Amazon have been at odds over the collection of online sales taxes since last September, when Combs sent Amazon the $269 million bill, covering sales taxes the Comptroller said Amazon.com should have collected from 2005 to 2009. The bill included interest and penalties through the date of the assessment.

Combs has said Amazon is required to collect sales taxes on Texas transactions because it was operating a distribution center in Irving, constituting a physical presence.

Amazon has disputed that claim.

“While we continue to believe the assessment was without merit, in April 2012, we entered into a settlement with the State of Texas that included an agreement to collect sales taxes on applicable sales transactions for our U.S.-focused internet retailers beginning July 1, 2012, resolution of Texas sales taxes up to that date, certain commitments related to capital investment and job creation in the state, and an immaterial payment to the state,” Amazon said in a quarterly federal filing this morning with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Amazon.com did not specify the amount of the payment.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/04...#storylink=cpy

Damn it. I buy a ton of shit from those guys.

Comment

Pressured by the government to open up some sort of presence here for the sole purpose of collecting taxes. Oh well, at least there is still no state income tax (yet).
      How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

The so-called brick and mortar retail stores in Texas will be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
          The so-called brick and mortar retail stores in Texas will be happy.
          They can fuck off. Still not gonna walk into them.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
            They can fuck off. Still not gonna walk into them.
            Yea, for the most part I'm done with brick and mortar stores. I haven't been in a Best Buy for a couple of years. Though I do go to Fry's on occasion.

Comment

I can see why it's done because they have operated in the state for awhile but.........nooooooooo. I buy a ton from them

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                Pressured by the government to open up some sort of presence here for the sole purpose of collecting taxes. Oh well, at least there is still no state income tax (yet).
                There is if you own property, and it increases annually even if the market tanks.

Comment

It is about time. ALL internet sales should be taxed at the delivery zip codes tax rate.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                    It is about time. ALL internet sales should be taxed at the delivery zip codes tax rate.
                    What if you called and ordered it? Should it be taxed then?
                    2006 Civic SI
                    2009 Pilot
                    1988 GT
                    CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post

Bullshit

Comment

I have a firm belief that Internet tax would curtail consumer spending. Decreasing jobs and revenue both for the company and what they pay in corporate tax at their home state. It's just evolution of retail.
                        2006 Civic SI
                        2009 Pilot
                        1988 GT
                        CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteboy View Post
                          Bullshit
                          X2
                          Buncha money grubbers.
                          Rich

Comment

This is the way it is going for all states... They're all looking for additional revenue. Another target is the livingsocial type deals, you buy a certificate tax free online, and then use that at a local business and they don't collect sales tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                              Yea, for the most part I'm done with brick and mortar stores. I haven't been in a Best Buy for a couple of years. Though I do go to Fry's on occasion.
                              I'll still buy online whenever possible, even if sales tax is charged, as long as shipping is not added on at checkout. There's so many cars on the roads now in DFW that going to virtually any store sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X