I feel like a kid on Xmas morning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like a kid on Xmas morning!

Last week I ordered a new device to help manage my diabetes, a Continuous Glucose Monitor. Well, it arrived today, and I gotta say, this damn thing is cool! It's very small, like as long as a paper clip, and as thick as 2 quarters. (the transmitter part)

The needle went in (wearing it on my belly) and I didn't even feel it, pretty thin (like 2 human hairs they said). You wear it for 7 days and get glucose readings every 5 minutes, and they are stored on a little handheld device that you can see the plot for 3,6,12,24 hours and also came with some software to download it into my computer and do different shit with. You can also set alarms if you go above or below a certain blood sugar level, it beeps at you. Even with good control, you will always have high spikes and some lows.

Now I can view trends and see how long after I eat my sugar spikes. For example, fries ALWAYS jack my sugar up, so very rarely do I eat them. Today, 1 hour after eating some, my sugar was level at 150, and stayed that way for about 2 hours, so I took a little more insulin, and now am steady in the 80's!

My last A1C was 5.9, usually I am between 5.7 and 6.0 and my goal with this is to get down to 5.5 within 5 months (next Dr visit).

LOL, I know %99 of you won't give a shit, but I'm excited to get this thing! Been insulin dependant for 40 years in June!

How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

It's cool that you found something that makes dealing with diabetes easier on you.

Comment

Ain't tech grand? Glad to hear it is getting easier, Rob.

Comment

thats awesome man. finding an easier way to do such an invasive daily task has got to be a relief.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I love ya Rob, but that just sucks ass. I hate that you are excited about something that the vast majority of will never even have to think about.

I am glad that life gotten a little bit easier for you though.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
              thats awesome man. finding an easier way to do such an invasive daily task has got to be a relief.

god bless.
              I'm so used to it, it really is just part of every day life. Been on insulin since I was 7. The great part about this is seeing when I do get those highs/lows.

The other night, I checked before I hit the sack at 11 and was 110. Woke up at 2 AM and checked and was 135. Woke up at 5 AM and was 280! Took insulin, went back to bed, got up and checked after I took a shower and was 45... It's like a roller coaster some times. Hopefully this will keep me at a more steady level all the time.

Comment

My sister uses the omni pad I think its called. They are so much better then old prick and guess method.
                2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
                2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
                2012 Ford Edge

Comment

what brand and model?
                  http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

My friend at work has one. Not sure what model her's is, but I am sure it makes ya'll's lives more manageable!

Comment

Originally posted by sspstang View Post
                      My sister uses the omni pad I think its called. They are so much better then old prick and guess method.
                      The Omnipod is the insulin pump, I have that also. beats the hell outa taking 4 - 6 shots a day!

Originally posted by SNEAKY View Post
                      what brand and model?
                      The Continuous Glucose Monitor is a Dexcom 7 Plus

Comment

Rob, it will be interesting to see how you like it. I got mine for my Minimed Paradigm pump about 3 years ago. The trending is good but the accuracy is very lacking. I have seen it 200 off. It read 140 and my glucometer read 340. That part sux. It does help with tracking trends overnight and such.

I would like to know if your results are similar or if yours is more accurate.

Good luck!
                        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                        86 SVO - Sold
                        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Well, so far it is fairly accurate. When I went to bed, the GCM said I was 144, the finger stick test was 135. Went low 3 times tho last night! Have the low set at 70, and at 12:30, 2:30 and 6:30 it went off. I did get to eat some Reese's peanut butter cups that way, LOL!

On the training DVD, it did say if your level was I think around 200, it could be up to %20 different than a finger stick, and around 70 up to %10 difference.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post

LOL, I know %99 of you won't give a shit, but I'm excited to get this thing! Been insulin dependant for 40 years in June!
                            congrats on your new toy, brah! I know it has got to make your feel better and make your life easier.
                            May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
                            Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                              Well, so far it is fairly accurate. When I went to bed, the GCM said I was 144, the finger stick test was 135. Went low 3 times tho last night! Have the low set at 70, and at 12:30, 2:30 and 6:30 it went off. I did get to eat some Reese's peanut butter cups that way, LOL!

On the training DVD, it did say if your level was I think around 200, it could be up to %20 different than a finger stick, and around 70 up to %10 difference.
                              I probably should say, many times the accuracy was dead on, reading basically the same as the meter. About the time I was thinking I could do without my meter, I would get one of those way off readinggs. It was not necessarily at the end of the sensor time either. I'm interested to see how yours plays out.

I'm actually up for a new meter, unless they count this replacement as one. I had my first "hard" failure about two months ago. Got a pump overnited from Medtronic. Pump failures suck btw. I haven't bought long acting insulin since the 90's.

Always be prepared.
                              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                              86 SVO - Sold
                              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X