Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAACP petitioning Arlington to rename Division St. to MLK St.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blownragtop View Post
    Historically Arlington, like most suburbs, has been lily white. I’ve lived here since 1983 and the demographic breakdown then was roughly 88% white, 6% Asian, 3% Hispanic and 3% black. It’s really only been in the last 15 years or so that the minority population has exploded. It seems more than a little disingenuous for the NAACP to talk about past grievances and (imagined) slights when blacks are relative newcomers to the city. Perhaps blacks and their leadership (lol) should focus on being contributing members of the community rather than being a drain on city services, driving school test scores into the shitter and petitioning for irrelevant bullshit like renaming a major thoroughfare. Just a suggestion…
    might be more white flight causing the numbers to tilt.

<----grew up in Arlington and escaped. Now we live in Haslet. Oh and a cracker.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I used to live in arlington and I think they should change the name of division to MLK. They should also change the name of the parks mall to compton swap meet.
      07 GT500
      05 SRT10
      88 turbocoupe T-bird
      93 Cobra
      86 coupe
      Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
        They should also change the name of the parks mall to compton swap meet.
        X2

Sad what that mall has become.
        Rich

Comment

It seems more than a little disingenuous for the NAACP to talk about past grievances...…
          Grievances, need to introduce them to Festivus

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
            might be more white flight causing the numbers to tilt.

<----grew up in Arlington and escaped. Now we live in Haslet. Oh and a white person.
            That’s certainly part of it, but the population has doubled in that time frame – from roughly 180,000 to 360,000+. Arlington is now a BIG city with all the problems that comes with that distinction. I live in a good neighborhood but in all probability I too will be escaping when I retire.

Comment

[Frank Costanza]Welcome, new comers. The tradition of Festivus begins with the airing of grievances. I got a lot of problems with you people! And now you're gonna hear about it![/Frank Costanza]

Comment

[Frank Costanza]Welcome, new comers. The tradition of Festivus begins with the airing of grievances. I got a lot of problems with you people! And now you're gonna hear about it![/Frank Costanza]
                I'll watch it every time it comes on. Back to white guilt - the book bronco suggested. Hope to finish it in a few days.

Comment

I love mad black people

is that racist?

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                    Am I racist if I feel that the black community has a serious inferiority complex? Why do they have to constantly make every request on a racial basis? Why is it that they always have to claim they are oppressed, and imply they are "fighting the status quo", etc? I just don't get it.
                    You're racist because you're white, so think freely. Black government leaders have shown time and time again that they are born without the ability to cohesively lead or self manage.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                      I have yet to see a MLK st/blvd/ave that wasn't surrounded by ghetto... ANYWHERE.
                      [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj1PtWnbmPo[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by article
                        The mob attack, which lasted seconds, was recorded on DART security cameras at the MLK Station. Four other boys who were there were not charged because they did not have physical contact with Lanier, prosecutors said.
                        In related news, pasted from an article about the 4+ teens that robbed, beat and pushed a man into a passing DART train...

Comment

Working...
                        X