Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good training videos / aids for youth baseball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good training videos / aids for youth baseball?

My son signed up for baseball this year after trying and quitting just about every other sports the past few years (karate, basketball, golf, tennis). So this year he decided to try baseball and football in the fall.

Good news is he loves baseball so far and is actually excited to go to practice each day. But since this is his first year (hes 10 years old), he isnt exactly as good as the other kids on the team.

I have been trying to practice with him as much as possible and even take him to putt putt batting cages, but I never played much baseball as a kid either, golf and basketball were always my thing. However, im a huge baseball nut as far as watching it.

But he loves to learn and i think a good little training video or something would be cool for him. anyone know of any good ones? maybe something real basic for a beginner ?

Invest in a set of private lessons at an academy. Do a package of 5 30 minute sessions to start with and then go from there. What area are you located in?

Comment

Youtube! I found a bunch of good soccer vids on there before I started playing this past winter

Comment

mansfield / arlington area

Comment

i coach my sons soccer, basketball, and baseball. we are only a 5yr old team or i would invite you out play. practice practice practice. there is no replacement for putting on the glove or swinging that bat. best of luck man.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Right before I started playing in high school we had a game where the coach felt that our catchers weren't doing enough behind the plate to block bad pitches with our bodies. Next practice he lined me and the 2 others up against the fence in full gear minus our gloves, and threw baseballs at us until he felt we were doing an acquit job of blocking without gloves. Probably couldn't do that these days, but we sure learned pretty quick!
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            i know i am are a fucking idiot.i know i should have pulled out of my mommas ass to make a shit fuck like me.bitch
            Originally Posted By: Polska
            I don't believe in shotting any animal past 150 or 200 yards, until their is better technology in 10 or 20 years and we have laser like the predators.

Comment

Look up DBats, and go get him a few training sessions.

As Paul said, practice practice practice. It's obvious which kids work at home with a parent, and which ones don't. My son plays 10U, but he has far exceeded the other players in rec league. He is trying out for a few different select teams for next season.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Get you a bunch of whiffle golf balls and a bucket(one big enough to sit on) or two. Then take him out in the backyard and start tossing the golf balls up for him to hit. You need not "pitch" it to him , take up a position across the "plate" from him and toss it up so he can hit it. When he can consistantly hit them move to a thinner bat. Also a hit a way and a pole will get him hitting when you can't be there.

Playing catch and throwin' the old horse hide around is the only way I know to develop throwing n catching.

Watch with him and point out what major leaguers are doing. How they position them selves. How they stand, ready themselves and react. Watch how the batter turns his head to see the ball. Have him watch the ball as it is pitched to him. Have him tell you which way it is spinning, what the pitcher is doing, and seeing it release from the pitcher's hand. This seems like a lot but my eight year old daughter knows these things an can crush a softball into the outfield in her games. Our older daughters were also taught these skills and each hits very well. I never could hit and am extremely proud my children can.
                Rich

Comment

Shoot "0 GT 2" a PM. He played some college ball and was offering some private lessons.

Comment

Check out Cover All Bases near UTA, I literally helped build that place as a kid, owner played at UTA and bounced around the minors for a while...good people, helped get me to play in college.

Comment

Why has he quit the other sports? Hopefully it isnt because you arent making it fun for him by being hard on him. Be his dad and mentor...not his coach and drill sergeant.

Comment

academy has some...
                        04 GT
                        91 LX

Comment

Working...
                        X