Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mach 20 a little tough on new aircraft

God. Damn.

It turns out that tearing through the atmosphere at 20 times the speed of sound is bad for the skin, even if you're a super high-tech aircraft developed by the government's best engineers at its far-out research agency.

DARPA, the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency, has made public its best guess about what might have caused its unmanned arrowhead-shaped Hypersonic Technology Vehicle (HTV-2) to suddenly lose contact and crash in the Pacific just a few minutes after slicing through the sky at Mach 20 last August: it was going so fast its skin peeled off.

After an eight-month investigation, DARPA concluded that even though the HTV-2 was expected to lose some of its skin mid-flight, "larger than anticipated portions of the vehicle's skin peeled from the aerostructure," the agency said in a statement Friday.

The agency said it expected the HTV-2, which goes so fast it can make the commute from New York to Los Angeles in 12 minutes, to experience "impulsive shock waves" at such speeds, but shocks it experienced last August were "more than 100 times what the vehicle was designed to withstand."

While the test was very public, the details of the HTV-2's design, stability system and potential purpose remain highly classified.

Two months after DARPA's test, the Army tested its own hypersonic aircraft - this one a long-range weapon system called the Advanced Hypersonic Weapon (AHW) designed to strike any target in the world in just a couple hours.

15,000mph would put a nice shit eating grin on my face...
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Still not as fast as an HCI LS1
      Originally posted by Buzzo
      Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Would be awesome to hop on a flight in New York and be in LA in under 30 minutes. Not that I think tihs "aircraft" was designed to be a passenger plane, but the idea sure is nice.

Comment

Something to keep us on the leading edge of the intercontinental weapon front.
          2004 Suzuki DL650
          1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

This was designed to bomb someone on the other side of the world in under an hour. Basically well wipe your ass out before your missiles get remotely close. We may even shoot your missile down before it's out of your country.

The world us getting too small for our wars.

Comment

I say we need them. Find the problem and fix it !

Comment

Just to put this speed into context - that's 29,000 feet per second, or 10 times the speed of a rifle bullet., and nearly 10 times the speed of the SR71. That is biblical fast. That's LA to NY in 7 minutes. This is the Aurora project.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                  Just to put this speed into context - that's 29,000 feet per second, or 10 times the speed of a rifle bullet., and nearly 10 times the speed of the SR71. That is biblical fast. That's LA to NY in 7 minutes.
                  *cough*

The agency said it expected the HTV-2, which goes so fast it can make the commute from New York to Los Angeles in 12 minutes, to experience "impulsive shock waves" at such speeds, but shocks it experienced last August were "more than 100 times what the vehicle was designed to withstand."

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                    *cough*
                    I'm just doing the math on what they said, they're probably taking other factors into account.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm just doing the math on what they said, they're probably taking other factors into account.
                      I'm sure it takes some time to get up to top speed, I doubt it's instantenously able to achieve Mach 20.

Comment

like the little safety video that covers the seatbelt and oxygen mask and such.

god bless.
                        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post

god bless.
                          Win.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
                            I'm sure it takes some time to get up to top speed, I doubt it's instantenously able to achieve Mach 20.
                            It would be cooler if it did. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post

god bless.
                              lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X