Custody Rights for fathers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custody Rights for fathers?

Need help seeing what my options are, I have a 2 week yr old daughter that the mother is only allowing me to see for 12 hours or so a week. Assuming that me seeing her doesn't interfer with her schedule, or my time is reduced.

I have no idea what to do and I'm becoming sick not being able to hold my little girl everyday. I feel like she (the mother) was overly nice to me throughout the whole time being prego just to make sure I signed and took responsibility for my child. Because the day we came home from the hospital her entire attitude changed towards me.

Any advice would be overly appreciated from anyone that has been in this predicament.

Take her to court and prepare to spend a LOT of money and have a hellacious fight. The state will side with her for the most part but you just may be able to get half time
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

We're yall married? Have you declared paternal responsibility in court?

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

Get a good lawyer and take her ass to court.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Man. Im going through this shit right now.
          Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Hope you've got a serious bankroll.

Comment

Maybe this can help you. Best of luck to you.

Livestrong.com offers diet, nutrition and fitness tips for a healthier lifestyle. Achieve your health goals with Livestrong.com's practical food and fitness tools, expert resources and an engaged community.
              2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
              2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
              2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                Hope you've got a serious bankroll.
                Yep. As long as she can't prove you unfit, you're entitled to first, third, and fifth weekends. But you have to go to court to get it. If there is already a court order, a judge can hold her in contempt. But it costs $$ to do so. If there is no court order, you need to get a lawyer immediately and get to court for temporary orders at the very least. Keep record of everything. Save every dime you have, you're going to need it. Record phone conversations. Keep your cool. Don't yell, don't argue, don't cuss her out, don't cry.

Also, contact Fathers for Equal Rights and become a member. www.fathers4kids.org.

I hope you have deep pockets. Going to cost you around $20,000 if you aren't trying to go for more than standard visitation. And if the child is 2 weeks old, you're going to be fucked getting more than standard visitation unless you can prove her an unfit mother. He said she said doesn't matter. It's all about what you can prove, and it has to directly affect the child. Her leaving you for someone else has no bearing on anything.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Aa stated already.....good lawyer, $$$, and be squeaky clean. Do this and anything is possible.

<-----Acquired sole custody of my daughter in a Tarrant County court, mom gets visitation at my descretion, and I get $300 a month CS. This was finalized Oct '99 and is still in place.

**My secret: Find a judge that continues to practice law simultaneously. They will likely know the presiding judge well and bend favor enough to level the playing field...if not angle it to your side.

Comment

Listen to bcoop, the man knows his shit.

Comment

Dude I can tell you now they will not give you a whole lot of time with a child that young being away from momma. Best advice is be nice and just try and get what you can right now. You do need to try and get standardized visitation but that will not kick in until the child reaches a certain age.

I do not see this costing you 20k unless you are going try and fight for full custody. I got an attorney I can recommend to get the ball rolling in Tarrant County. Just be prepared for the Child support that will also come along with this, which you really have no control over at this point anyways.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 94form2000z View Post
                        I do not see this costing you 20k unless you are going try and fight for full custody.
                        Correct. My bad, what I meant to type was...

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        Going to cost you around $20,000 if you aretrying to go for more than standard visitation.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

alot of good and very honest advice in here..I got full custody of my then 18month old daughter back in 2002...A dad getting custody of a girl is very very rare in texas but can be done if everything and I do mean everything falls in your favor(male judge, damn good lawyer and many other small things)

I know everything said in here is prolly what you dont want to hear but me and all these other guys speak the truth when it comes to matters like this

Sorry, and best of luck too you and all fathers fighting this type of battle

Comment

The situation changes a bit with an infant, especially if mom is breast feeding. It can be tricky getting full overnights the first year.

When you talk to the lawyer, ask about putting a right of first refusal clause in the custody agreement. That way, if she needs to make arrangements for a sitter, you get the first phone call before her parents, a friend, or a babysitter.

Comment

Have had custody of my daughter since age 4. She is now going on 20 and getting ready to leave home for Texas A&M this summer. First and foremost keep your life squeaky clean. Get a good attorney and be 100% honest with them from the start. No need to be in the middle of a court room and your attorney find out you have skeletons in the closet they weren't aware of. No matter what the circumstances keep it civil with the mother and document absolutely everything down to the minute. If she ever says anything that can be used against her start recording every correspondence with her. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X