Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hook-up/Opinion on Polaris Pool Cleaners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hook-up/Opinion on Polaris Pool Cleaners?

My Polaris 480 Pro is just about dead. Leslie's wants over $400 to overhaul/Repair it (it is in bad shape), but I just can't see spening $400+ to repair it when I can go buy a new 280 or 380 for just a little more money. I've been told the 280 is the way to go, although it has fewer jets, but it is more dependable and has fewer mechanisms to fail/replace when they go bad.

If you have a pool with a Polaris, what model do you have? My boss has the 3900 Sport and it's been a peice of junk. Provide any feedback you have.

Also, does anyone have a hook-up on these things? I'm looking to buy one TODAY!

Thanks,

Brent

I traded my 280 in on the 3900 sport last year and that was a mistake!!! Buy a 280!!!

Comment

Order the rebuild kit and do it yourself. I did mine that way and it was pretty easy.

Comment

btw, mine is a 280 model

Comment

I would not step down to a 280, it is vary similar to your 480 anyways.the 480 is pretty damned stout, chain drive, etc. go ahead with a rebuild, it will last a good long time, with less maintinance than the 280 or 380 will.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by lee earley View Post
            Order the rebuild kit and do it yourself. I did mine that way and it was pretty easy.
            280 guts are a lot more simplistic than the 480.

Leslie's doesn't charge labor (at least they didn't when I worked there) so I'd let them rebuild it, then if it still doesn't work you can bring it back to them and let them figure out the issue. Oh and I never found anyone with a hookup on Polaris parts, we were barely able to use our employee discount on them.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
              280 guts are a lot more simplistic than the 480.

Leslie's doesn't charge labor (at least they didn't when I worked there) so I'd let them rebuild it, then if it still doesn't work you can bring it back to them and let them figure out the issue. Oh and I never found anyone with a hookup on Polaris parts, we were barely able to use our employee discount on them.
              When did you work there?
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it!

Comment

I had my 280 rebuilt last summer by a local pool place. Only charged me for parts.

All the parts were 2.00-15.00 and then one part was 78.00!!!! So I spent like 100 to get mine fixed and rebuilt.
                  WRX

Comment

The 480 has 4 jets, and as someone stated, the internals are more complex/more stuff to break, go wrong, need repair.....Understanding the 280 is more reliable/easier/cheaper to repair, how well does it perform? Does it pick up small dirt/silt/debris very well? Also, I use the double size bag on my 480, so it holds more crap before I have to clean/empty it. Will that same bag type work on the 280?

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                      When did you work there?
                      2003 - 2006, then went to Dolphin in 2007, and California in 2008.
                      Originally posted by BEARY View Post
                      The 480 has 4 jets, and as someone stated, the internals are more complex/more stuff to break, go wrong, need repair.....Understanding the 280 is more reliable/easier/cheaper to repair, how well does it perform? Does it pick up small dirt/silt/debris very well? Also, I use the double size bag on my 480, so it holds more crap before I have to clean/empty it. Will that same bag type work on the 280?

Thanks for the feedback in advance!
                      The 280 is a "beast" as many customer described it. It's gear driven, not belt driven like the 380. The 480 came out after I left the business so I'm not sure how it works. No Polaris I saw picked up the smaller silt type debris all that well, but maybe the 480 is good? The bags are not interchangeable on Polaris models. Although there was an adapter floating around to convert the velcro 180 bag to the clips on the 280 bag.

Comment

I switch from the Polaris to the Letro Legend II. Very happy with over the Polaris360.

Comment

2003 - 2006, then went to Dolphin in 2007, and California in 2008.

The 280 is a "beast" as many customer described it. It's gear driven, not belt driven like the 380. The 480 came out after I left the business so I'm not sure how it works. No Polaris I saw picked up the smaller silt type debris all that well, but maybe the 480 is good? The bags are not interchangeable on Polaris models. Although there was an adapter floating around to convert the velcro 180 bag to the clips on the 280 bag.
                          I was around 98-02.

The 480 is gear driven, basically its the re design of the 280.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            I was around 98-02.

The 480 is gear driven, basically its the re design of the 280.
                            There seem to be quite a few former employees on here.

Good idea for them, everyone I dealt with loved the 280, but hated the 380.

Comment

There seem to be quite a few former employees on here.

Good idea for them, everyone I dealt with loved the 280, but hated the 380.
                              I should retract my previous statement, it is chain driven, as opposed to rubber bands.

Comment

Working...
                              X