I'm a homeowner again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a homeowner again

After 5 months of living in LA, I finally was able to close a deal on a house. I keep hearing about how depressed the housing market is, but that's not the case here anyway. There is very little inventory on houses under $500k, and 9 out of 10 of them are pending the first week on market. I made offers on a few houses the first three days they were listed and someone beat me to them.

Very happy with the place I found, and thrilled to be out of this one bedroom apartment. It's not easy living in such a small place coming from a four bedroom house in TX, I have shit stacked floor to ceiling. And very glad to have a garage again, I had to pay for two oil changes which I haven't done in many, many years.

Now time to move again

Congrats!

My wife and I bought a house up here in New Hampshire last Jan and the market was pretty weird here too. Almost everything under 200k was a shit hole...most of the stuff at between 200-250k was nicer, but needed lots of updates. We ended up finding a nice little ranch that had most of the updates done for 215k. It still blows my mind to spend 215k on a 1200 sq ft house. My last house outside of Tyler was 135k and much larger and nicer

Comment

I had to spend more than double what my house in TX cost, almost triple. But the saving grace here is the property taxes... even though the house cost way more, my property tax is only $700 more per year. Insurance rates are the same. And it will cost me MUCH less to heat/cool it, in fact, I've yet to use heat or AC here. My highest electricty bill has been $23

Comment

My house here is smaller too, 1,660 sq ft vs 2,100 I had in TX. But I didn't use half of the house anyway.

Comment

No way in hell I would live out there, or anywhere that has ridiculous pricing on housing like that. Just crazy.

Congrats though.

Comment

Congrats man!
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Thanks. I haven't been here long, but so far I think it's worth every penny. I love riding my bike through the mountain trails and hitting the beach on the weekend. The weather is so nice, you want to be outside.

Comment

congrats. what are gas prices in that area right now?

Comment

About $4.35

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                    About $4.35
                    where do you live? I'm guessing California somehwhere?

Comment

Yup, about 30 miles north of downtown LA.

Comment

I just paid 4.19/gal in Costa Mesa. I paid 4.49 when I was in San Diego the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                          Yup, about 30 miles north of downtown LA.
                          Oh ok. I have family in Oxnard. Not sure how close you are to there. What brought you out there?

Congrats on the house!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                            I just paid 4.19/gal in Costa Mesa. I paid 4.49 when I was in San Diego the other day.
                            gas is 3.65 in Tucson, Az! Driving through New Mexico they had weird octane ratings. 86, 88 and 90...

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                              Oh ok. I have family in Oxnard. Not sure how close you are to there. What brought you out there?

Congrats on the house!
                              I was just in Oxnard last week, it's nice by the coast. I relocated out here for work, I've always wanted to live in SoCal. So far I'm diggin' it (other than house prices).

Comment

Working...
                              X