X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People suck. Five guitars stolen from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Guitars stolen from Tom Petty and Heartbreakers at Culver Studios
    April 14, 2012 | 10:11 am

Five guitars belonging to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were stolen from a soundstage at The Culver Studios in Culver City, according to the band’s website. A reward of $7,500 with “no questions asked” is being offered.
    Petty had been rehearsing at the studios in advance of the band's 2012 North America-Europe tour, which kicks off on April 18 in Broomfield, Colo. No shows have been planned for Los Angeles.
    The theft was reported to the Culver City Police Department on April 12 a little after 4 p.m., according to Sgt Dan Sukal.
    The Culver Studios, a complex of 16 soundstages just off Culver Boulevard, was the home of “Deal or No Deal,” “America’s Next Top Model,” and “The Starter Wife.” Films such as “State of Play” and “Rush Hour 3” have also been filmed here. “Cougar Town" is currently in production on the lot.
    The guitars include Petty’s 1967 12-string Rickenbacker and his Gibson SG TV Junior, Ron Blair's Fender Broadcaster, Scott Thurston's 1967 Epiphone Sheridan and Mike Campbell's blue Dusenberg, which was built for Campbell to commemorate the band's 30th anniversary.
    Fan reaction to the theft was fierce. “... nothing lower in life then a thief who would steal a mans tools to feed his family,” wrote one.
    “I don't normally condone acts of violence against others, but since I'm referring to nothing more than knuckle-dragging neanderthals – I hope somebody beats the [expletive] out of them with their own clubs,” wrote another.
    Petty, originally from Gainesville, Fla., first recorded in Los Angeles in 1974. At the time, he was an unknown, living in seedy hotels and on advances, when he got the phone number of Shelter Records one day while eating at Ben Frank’s on the Sunset Strip.
    After signing with the record company, he was playing one night in the studio when the descending chords of “Breakdown” came to him.
    In 1977, the song got air play on KHJ, squeezed in with songs by KISS and Andy Gibb, and it eventually landed on Billboard’s Top 40. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.
    On an unrelated video posted to the band’s website, Campbell spoke a little about his affection for the guitar. “I fell in love with the guitar when I was 15. I still love the guitar as much as I did then. There are only six strings and 20 frets but there is a whole world of mystery and inspiration in this instrument,” Campbell said.
    The band has asked anyone with information about the theft to email stolenguitars@tompetty.com or call Culver City police detectives at (310) 253-6305.

what a joke for a reward. i got more than that for my old les paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
      They were stolen from a studio. I can't imagine there are absolutely no cameras as Culver Studios. $7,500 reward and no questions, no charges is a damn good deal.

Comment

They were actually just trying to stop Tom Petty from playing music. An action that I fully support.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
          They were actually just trying to stop Tom Petty from playing music. An action that I fully support.
          I'll be at his Austin show in a couple of weeks. You suck sir.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
            We found the thief. Lets turn him in.
            sigpic

Comment

LA is full of scumbags, you've got to keep your shit on lockdown at all times.

Comment

skeletor is mad.
                Originally posted by talisman
                I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                Originally posted by AdamLX
                If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                Because fuck you, that's why
                Originally posted by 80coupe
                nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                Originally posted by Rick Modena
                ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                Originally posted by Jester
                Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                  I'll be at his Austin show in a couple of weeks. You suck sir.
                  x2 They've made some great music over the years and IMHO qualify as one of the great American bands.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                    x2 They've made some great music over the years and IMHO qualify as one of the great American bands.
                    I agree. They really are one of the best bands in American music history. It's hard to go 30 years and still be relevant.

Comment

Bummer.. but " Fan reaction to the theft was fierce. “... nothing lower in life then a thief who would steal a mans tools to feed his family,” wrote one. " made me LOL. Seriously? Those dudes are rich as fuck. Their families will be fed for life off the royalties alone. Those guitars are gone.... into the greaaaat wiiiiiide open.
                      http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

Originally posted by tribaltalon View Post
                        Bummer.. but " Fan reaction to the theft was fierce. “... nothing lower in life then a thief who would steal a mans tools to feed his family,” wrote one. " made me LOL. Seriously? Those dudes are rich as fuck. Their families will be fed for life off the royalties alone. Those guitars are gone.... into the greaaaat wiiiiiide open.
                        Well as long as you steal from someone who is "rich", I guess it is ok.
                        Last edited by EW; 04-15-2012, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                          Well as long as you steal from someone who is "rich", I guess it is ok.
                          Sounds like something Obama might say.

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
                            They are trying to entice the person who stole them in the first place. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if this is what the thief(ves) had in mind. If not, the black market may offer far more...

Comment

Gear is stolen all the time. I don't feel as bad for someone like Tom Petty who can replace all of that shit without batting an eye as I do the real touring bands who can't afford to replace it.
                              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Working...
                              X