Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help from the more enlightened...getting benefits for aging parent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help from the more enlightened...getting benefits for aging parent.

My 85 year grandmother is at the point where she needs to be in assisted living. I'm sure there are several here that have been on this end of the decision making process, so I need some guidance.

My grandmother was in the Army Nurse Corps in WWII, but I have no idea how long she served. She may be eligible for veterans benefits on her own. At the very least, my grandfather was a WWII vet, so she'll qualify for widow's benefits. I'm pretty sure she gets government pension and Survivor's benefits, but I'm not 100% sure on her income source.

For the life of me, I can't find a chart of the income limitations and the benefits available for her income.

I'm trying to push for assisted living, rather than part-time, in-home care because I think the benefits of the level of care, the security, and the social interaction (several of her friends reside in the facility I'm looking at) will out weigh the adjustment period after she moves out of her home. That, and the house and land are too much for her to deal with, and the cost of the care she needs and the home maintenance (there are so many issues with the house, the plumbing, ect) will be more expensive than being in assisted living.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

does she have any assets?
    2006 Civic SI
    2009 Pilot
    1988 GT
    CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Well, I'll get this thread started.....

Pics of grandmother??
      2012 GT500

Comment

We are a Texas based law offices that is dedicated to assisting individuals and families THROUGHOUT TEXAS secure financial aid for nursing home expenses or long term care needs. Our staff places special emphasis on educating families on how to qualify for financial assistance through MEDICAID (the Texas Department of Human Services (TDHS)). In doing so, we strive to explore and utilize any and all legal means of protecting both hard earned income and assets from unnecessary spendown.

Setup an appointment with Jim Audet. He is cheap.

$150 for the initial which basically gives you all of the knowledge you need to do everything yourself.
        2006 Civic SI
        2009 Pilot
        1988 GT
        CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
          does she have any assets?
          The house and land are the only real property. She has a little in savings, and she gets an annuity payment.

Comment

Is the house on the land?

Primary home is not considered an asset to medicaid.

Find out the lump sum of the annuity if you took it cash.

You can only have a house, car, and 2000 to qualify for medicaid.

But medicaid plus VA benefits should cover almost all of the cost of the retirement home.

Any will?

Power of attorney?
            2006 Civic SI
            2009 Pilot
            1988 GT
            CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Where are her children?
              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

http://www.medicaidcounseling.com/

Setup an appointment with Jim Audet. He is cheap.

$150 for the initial which basically gives you all of the knowledge you need to do everything yourself.
                I'm not in Dallas and she has her legal matters in order. Plus, the facility I'm looking at doesn't accept Medicare/Medicaid, and will help me with the VA benefits. The caveat is that she has to be set up with home care services or assisted living before we apply, if I'm understanding the process correctly.

My uncle (her executor) is convinced that assisted living will take all of her monthly income, so I'm trying to get a grasp on what she may qualify for, to build a case for assisted living.
                Last edited by Treasure Chest; 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Well an assisted living place will take all of her income most likely they are expensive, VA benefits max at 2k a month (if completely disabled) or so and $75 a day credit if they take VA medical.

How much is the assisted living a month?
                  2006 Civic SI
                  2009 Pilot
                  1988 GT
                  CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Well an assisted living place will take all of her income most likely they are expensive, VA benefits max at 2k a month (if completely disabled) or so and $75 a day credit if they take VA medical.

How much is the assisted living a month?
                    I have a relative that works at the facility, so we're eligible for a family discount. With the discount, before VA benefits, I'm looking at a total of $1,823 a month for an efficiency unit.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                      Where are her children?
                      Legally, I am her child. My mom is kept in the loop and can make suggestions, but has no authority to make decisions. My uncle is the executor, but I'm the attorney-in-fact.

Comment

Working...
                      X