Moving to Houston/Apartment finders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Houston/Apartment finders

So, I got a summer internship in Houston, and I need to find an apartment by April 30th.

There is a female in my program who is about to graduate, and she just got hired at a company based in Houston. She said a guy met her on Saturday, and drove her all over Houston looking for places that fit her price range, and didn't charge her a thing.
    I understand that the apartment that you end up renting from usually pays these guys a commission. Is there any reason not to use this service? Does he get a flat fee, or does he get a portion of the monthly rent? Would I end up paying directly for it? Would my rent be different if I used one of these apartment locators? Since this is such short notice, and Houston is quite the drive, I'd like to find a place in one weekend, but I also realize there are a fuck ton of apartments.

I'm looking for a two bedroom apartment for about $600-700. My buddy got an internship also, so we will be splitting the rent. I'm looking for something central, or on the east side. The business I'll be working for is on the south east side of downtown.

Any advice from the DFWM thinktank?
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Bamboo leasing. Brian is the owner, ask for him.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

where did you end up getting an intern at?
      "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Southeast side. Sort of rough over there. Might consider something northeast like atascocita, humble or kingwood. Or out east further down I-10. Galena park and such.
        Rich

Comment

Originally posted by TexasT View Post
          Southeast side. Sort of rough over there. Might consider something northeast like atascocita, humble or kingwood. Or out east further down I-10. Galena park and such.
          Well, the company is located there, and it is rough. We stayed about a block from there off Scott and i45 the night before the interview. We heard gun shots at night, and the police kicking in a door in the morning.

I'm not trying to live a block from work, but I sure don't want a 60 mile comute either. I guess a locator is the way to go, I really don't even know where to start looking. I'm completely new to Houston.
          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

It's a shit hole. That's all you need to know about Houston.

Leave as soon as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
              It's a shit hole. That's all you need to know about Houston.

Leave as soon as you can.
              truff!

Comment

It only took me three days and a flood to make my mind up about it.

Comment

HA! As shitty as it may be, I've worked in worse. Hell, cant be much more of a dump than Waco. I'm just looking to earn a little cash in 4 months. I can put up with a lot in that time.
                  DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Inside the Loop, or outside of the Beltway. Dont live in between, or East of 59/South of I-10

Check these guys out.

Texas Luxury Apartment Locators | Get up to $500 cash back by using our FREE apartment locating service in Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio!

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                      She said a guy met her on Saturday, and drove her all over Houston looking for places that fit her price range, and didn't charge her a thing.

Comment

I don't have any suggestions specific to Houston, however I used an apartment finder when I moved to Arlington and that is the only way to go and didn't cost me a dime. I think they get half of your first months rent or something of that nature from the apartment.

Comment

Some friends of mine moved to Houston recently. I'll see where they live and see if they can help any.

I'll let ya know what I find out.

Comment

I paid over 900 for a nice one bedroom apartment in "central" Houston. You DO NOT want to live in Southeast Houston. Clear Lake or League City will be your best bets in that area. I live in central Houston now, so I know most of the areas.

Because you are only here a short time, use the apartment finder. If you were to stay longer, do it alone and you'll probably get a free months rent or something. Thats typically what the finders get as payment.

Blake

Comment

Well, they live in northwest Houston near 45 and 1960. Not sure if that will help any.

Comment

Working...
                              X