No announcement yet.

I need a recommendation on a vet badly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a recommendation on a vet badly.

My best friend has heart worms . I'm no baller and the vet is telling me he's not suffering and not to put him down . He is a ten year old boxer who up till 6 weeks ago was fine . He's never had any health issues . What bothers me the most is the vet never even brought up treatment . I don't have much cash laying around but if there is anything that I can do I'll find it . Is my vet right or wrong for telling me to wait till he is suffering then put him down . I wish I had been there to hear the conversation but I was at work and my tearful wife had to tell me this . He has lost 20 lbs and the thought of sitting here watching him waste away seems unacceptable . Advice and prayers are greatly accepted .
    Thanks y'all .
    The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

I have a great vet in rockwall, not sure where you are.

Dr david loftis

Comment

Where are you?

Comment

my gf works at a vet. i'll ask her where is the cheapest.
        text me if you need help
        817 938 7539

Comment

To cure a dog of heart worms is huge bucks. I'm sorry.

Comment

I live in Cleburne and for a vet that will help my dog I'll drive to hell and back daily .
            The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

I had to treat a dog once for HW and used this vet for him. They are in Watauga and they let me pay them out on a plan so it wasn't so bad. Seemed they really had the animal's best interest in mind instead of how much $$ they were going to get.

Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
              Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
              Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
              You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

Don't let any vet tell you the only hope is to treat the heart worms. A "real" vet will suggest maintaining the heart worm problem. Any dog at that age will do very poorly during treatment. You can maintain them so the dog can continue to live their life to the fullest without killing them just to save them.

Comment

My dog got heartworms a few years back. The treatment when it was all said and done was right at about a grand. Worth every penny. I wish you the best, it is a hard thing to go through when they have the treatment. You have to keep the animal crated so they don't move around much. I have a border collie mix so I felt terrible not letting her bounce off the walls like normal while she was recovering. At that age, I'm not sure if the treatment would be a good idea, but I would probably consult another vet and get their opinion. Best of luck.

Comment

Pretty sure the cure for heartworms involves arsenic treatment which is probably not a good idea on an older pup.
                    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Call Ennis Vet. They are really decent on their prices and the vets are reaaly nice people.

Ennis Veterinary Clinic
                      (972) 875-2647

3101 N Kaufman St

Ennis, TX 75119

Comment

I think I'm going to get two more opinions and call some rescue groups to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with . Any and all info is greatly appreciated . I've never had a get sick like this and I'm kinda lost .

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                          To cure a dog of heart worms is huge bucks. I'm sorry.
                          True.

The treatment for heart worms is pretty rough on a dog. Maybe the reason they said wait and the put him down is because for a dog that old, the treatment may be too harsh. I would think they would clarify the reason they said that regardless.
                          Vortex rear stand $75
                          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                          11 4 door
                          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

I am sorry to hear this. We have two rather young (1 and 3 yrs old) boxers. We use a vet in Keller so she would not be much use for you being so far away.

There is a boxer rescue that is local who may have some better vet recommendations for you. When I get home tonight I will post their info for you here.

Heartworms sucks, growing up we had a rather young (6yrs) border collie mix that we had to treat. He lived another 10 years.
                            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Unfortunately once a dog shows signs of heartworms the disease has progressed to a severe stage. The only way to actually kill the heartworms is to put the dog through immiticide injection treatment. However, with your dog's age and your description of the weight loss and health status, that may not be the best treatment option. There are some medications that can be administered to lessen some of the symptoms as well as prevent the heartworm infection from getting worse. I'd be happy to talk with you further if you'd like, but I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion with a veterinarian that focuses more on thorough client communication and fully explains the treatment options available to your pet.

Comment

Working...
                              X