Power of Attorney Rights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power of Attorney Rights?

If I have a POA on someone does it basically only entitle my say when said person is unconscious and medical related issues only? I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for a lovely Monday morning; I just need to know where to start.

You will have to get a copy of the power of attorney to see what exactly it is outlining for you as power of attorney. You might have 100% power of attorney, or you might only have a few certain items like the medical related issue that you're speaking of.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
      You will have to get a copy of the power of attorney to see what exactly it is outlining for you as power of attorney. You might have 100% power of attorney, or you might only have a few certain items like the medical related issue that you're speaking of.
      Medical POA with no limitations listed.

Basically, I am trying to put my mother in a semi-assisted living community. I do not know that she will go peacefully, but she cannot be left alone. I am just unsure if this can be considered a "medical/heath" situation.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I don't think a blanket medical power of attorney will be enough if this is a case where she doesn't want to be in an assisted living community. You can certainly try though if you feel this is what needs to happen for her own health, safety, etc. From the little bit I have dealt with this in the past, it seems as if there has to be a significant issue to where it is an open and shut case that she can no longer care for herself(medical and/or mentally capacity) and by leaving her to her own care could cause serious harm. Interpretation could be tough for you depending on how much resistance she gives you as well as the interpretation of the community that you're wanting to care for her.

Comment

If she has the mental capacity to make her own decisions, the POA wont mean anything. You will have to prove to a court that she is unfit to make those decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
            If she has the mental capacity to make her own decisions, the POA wont mean anything. You will have to prove to a court that she is unfit to make those decisions.
            I have a call into the social worker at Baylor to see what I need to file. She isn't allowed to drive, live alone, etc. so I'm hopeful it'll be an easy case. It's never fun trying to parent your parent.

Comment

Originally posted by downshift_me View Post
              I have a call into the social worker at Baylor to see what I need to file. She isn't allowed to drive, live alone, etc. so I'm hopeful it'll be an easy case. It's never fun trying to parent your parent.
              Thats why you make it a point to stop talking to them as soon as you leave the home.

But good luck. I don't even want to think about this with my parents.

Comment

Working...
              X