Brilliant kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brilliant kid

Are you smarter than a fifth grader? Now is probably the most appropriate time to ask yourself that. A girl named Clara Lazen recently discovered a previously unknown molecule — and she hasn't even graduated from grade school yet.

Clara's fifth-grade teacher, Ken Boehr, handed his students molecule model building toys during science class one day. The curious 10-year-old built a model that she thought looked stable with atoms that fit together perfectly, not knowing that nobody had ever thought of it before.

Intrigued by the model his student built, Boehr snapped some pictures of it and sent them to his college friend, Robert Zoellner, who's now a chemistry professor at Humboldt State University in California. Upon further inspection, Zoellner determined that the molecule was indeed a new discovery. He dubbed it tetranitratoxycarbon, and wrote a research paper on it that was just published in a major journal called Computational and Theoretical Chemistry. Clara, who's probably never heard of the journal before, was named one of his co-authors.

Nobody knows what the molecule can actually do — it's something that we'll find out if and when a chemist succeeds in synthesizing it. But while Zoellner is still wondering whether it could store energy or create large explosions, Clara's already thinking of what she can do with it: "I could sell this to the military for money."
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I wouldn't call her brilliant because of this, she just happened to stumble across something.

If my HS chemistry memory serves correct it's only got 4 nitrogen, 1 oxygen and 1 carbon atom.

Comment

pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
        pics?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          I wouldn't call her brilliant because of this, she just happened to stumble across something.

If my HS chemistry memory serves correct it's only got 4 nitrogen, 1 oxygen and 1 carbon atom.
          She created a molecule no one had ever thought of. Sounds brilliant to me. Not only did she create it, but it's a stable molecule.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            She created a molecule no one had ever thought of. Sounds brilliant to me. Not only did she create it, but it's a stable molecule.
            No, it's not brilliance. She had no clue what she was doing, she just put pieces together where they fit and stumbled across it. Had she deliberately done it, and understood (at a higher than 5th grade level) what she was doing, then it can be argued that it was brilliance. This took place by sheer happenstance.

Edit: I was wrong about the actual makeup of the molecule. I tried reading the actual paper (found Here) but couldn't make heads or tails of it. I don't know enough about chemistry.
            Last edited by racrguy; 04-05-2012, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Although I agree that she just stumbled across this, none of
              The mouth breathers here could have come up with the molecule. (A few exceptions of course)
              Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

I've mixed all kinds of alcohol (tequila, vodka, rum, whiskey, jager, etc) with various other beverages (coke, root beer, dr pepper, fruit juice) and technically have invented new drinks....wheres my fucking Nobel Prize!!!!

Comment

it should be noted that in genius the random 'good job!' and 'atta boys....' happen at much higher frequency... and then stop all together..
                  2012 mustang gt. 3.31 MT

Comment

Hey now, damn it. If you are going to impress the dumbest group of fucks on the internet, it better be REALLY noteworthy - like laying a sweet weld bead or performing some outstanding landscaping work.
                    Originally posted by davbrucas
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Genius comes in many forms. When the mind is not constrained by what they've been taught, true talent comes out.

Is someone who has a talent for singing but knows only the basic levwl of music any less of an artist?

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                        I've mixed all kinds of alcohol (tequila, vodka, rum, whiskey, jager, etc) with various other beverages (coke, root beer, dr pepper, fruit juice) and technically have invented new drinks....wheres my fucking Nobel Prize!!!!
                        Check with Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
                          Genius comes in many forms. When the mind is not constrained by what they've been taught, true talent comes out.

Is someone who has a talent for singing but knows only the basic levwl of music any less of an artist?
                          That's pretty much my point of view. Her age doesn't matter nor does her education level. She put together something that no one else had thought of or even tried to put together. It's kind of like a kid whom has never touched a piano being able to play Mozart

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                            Check with Obama
                            You were just added to his watch list. Better run and hide.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                              You were just added to his watch list. Better run and hide.
                              I reported myself to flag@whitehouse.gov and attackwatch already. That and I snail mailed him a letter and looked him in the eye and said some stuff fairly loudly when instead of shaking the hands of disabled veterans who were invited to the White House, he shook the hands of his supporters and then looked at us and headed back inside.

Comment

Working...
                              X