I need a mentor (restaurant industry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a mentor (restaurant industry)

I’m asking here because we have such a wide ranch of people that you might know the ‘perfect’ person. Plus, I found an awesome bakery mentor here (shout out, Russell’s Confection Perfection!)

No soft way to say that I sort of had a 5400 sq restaurant handed to me. There is a gentlemen on staff that has 18+ years of experience but his restaurant was much smaller. I’d like a mentor or business consultant that can help me learn, in short order, all I need to know about running this massive steakhouse. **sigh**

Add in the fact I also am about to open my new bakery location, this girl is in over her head. I’ve got lots of book smarts but not the experience. I realize this is most unorthodox but when my Dad found out he had brain cancer he really shook things up and that adds extra pressure not to fail at this.

I’m too slow for the fast cars and too fast for the slow cars.

watch Kitchen Nightmares...at least you can have an idea of what not to do.

where is this steakhouse...always looking to try out new places.
    sigpic

Comment

Once Brent finds the light switch he will be in here to enlighten you on all things restaurant and many more...
      Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
        Once Brent finds the light switch he will be in here to enlighten you on all things restaurant and many more...
        Brent might be abit of an abrasive prick at times, but he is a serious foodie who knows his stuff. If you ever need good advice on places to eat he is a good one to ask. He's pointed me to a couple places and he's always right in regards to food.

Football? Ehhh.

Comment

I worked in the business growing up and I've managed a couple small restaurants, but a big steakhouse is a whole nuther game. Subscribing...

Comment

my girlfriend is the kitchen manager at a nice seafood place in fort worth.. what do you need?
            ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

shoot me a pm if you prefer
              just curious of the location?

What are LBW sales compared to food sales?

Aside from management.. what is your FOH/BOH labor?

Is rent extremely high?

food cost %?
              Liq cost %?
              beer and wine cost%?

5400 sq ft is a pretty large restaurant, and I', assuming your utilities are pretty high too with all those doors swinging..

I am in the same industry with a restaurant that does a decent amount of sales and might have some of the answers youre seeking..
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

I'm always willing to help, but we are so far understaffed right now I haven't seen some of my customers in months, so I don't know how much help I can be. Your market is also vastly different than what I am used to.

Stephen is getting you pointed in the right direction. I'd also make it a point to talk to someone who failed in the industry. Lack of operating capital is the #1 reason new restaurants close. Consistency is key.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I have been in and out of the family business my whole life. We have owned and sold and closed quite a few stores. We currently own the IHOP here in marshall. I am sure I can be of some help. It looks like we have a few people here in the industry. My suggestion is to post up your questions/concerns as they arise and let us have a group discussion to hopefully help you out.

Truth be told, not every restaurant can be ran the same way and achieve the same result. You have to find your system and be willing to adapt and evolve.

Oh, and fyi, this is going to consume your life...

Comment

In all honesty, if you don't know what you are doing, I would sell it. I've worked for concepts that ran great and where very profitable, and a couple were the owners either had no clue, or opened a store that was too large for them to handle and both folded in little over a year leaving huge amounts of debt.
                    Unless it's a family business that's been handed down and it can pretty much run itself at this point, I would look into selling.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

From what I've seen and what my dad and I talked about when I was still entertaining the idea of opening a bakery here (its not 100% identical, but its similar), he used to own some sonic drive in's back in the late 70's early 80's, was food cost % and labor %. Those are two of the driving factors for your profit margin. If you don't have some already, i can set up some spreadsheets for you to calculate your food cost %, labor %, and keep track of inventory. Like the bakery, I'll gladly help anywhere I can.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Sell it to some sucka.

You don't want to be in the restaurant business.
                        Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Originally posted by majorownage View Post
                          Sell it to some sucka.

You don't want to be in the restaurant business.
                          Losing money and working your ass off for it sounds great to me
                          Originally posted by Buzzo
                          Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

^^^ Did you idiots give each other a fucking piggyback ride in here?

Comment

Sent you a PM

Comment

Working...
                              X