Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They don't make them like this anymore

The end of the road is here for Rachel Veitch's beloved "Chariot."

After 576,000 miles -- or more than a trip to the moon and back -- in the same 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente, the 93-year-old Orlando grandmother is stepping on the brakes due to age-related macular degeneration in both eyes. She realized her vision had completely failed her in early March after running a "bald-faced red light," Veitch told FoxNews.com.

"I am legally blind, so I can no longer drive my lovely Chariot," she said by phone. "They don’t have to take it away, I would not dream of driving that car again."

Related Stories
    National Archives releases 1940 Census, 21 million from count still alive
    How to search the 1940 Census

Veitch, a retired nurse who told FoxNews.com in July 2009 that the car had outlasted three marriages and three sets of shocks, said she last drove on March 9. The following day, her worst fears were confirmed when she couldn't read large headlines in the newspaper, the result of years of deteriorating vision for the near-obsessive car fanatic.

"I know I'm not safe enough to drive," she continued. "But I have taken it in stride."

Veitch bought her beloved ride for $3,289 in February 1964 from a dealer in Sanford, Fla. The car, which has been appraised at $12,000, has gone through 18 batteries, eight mufflers and countless oil changes. She credits her near-obsessive dedication to the car as the main reason why it's spent nearly half a century in her care.

"When I buy gas, I write down the mileage, the date and how many miles per gallon I got," she told FoxNews.com in 2009. "I've never been a destructive person and I've just taken care of everything, except my husbands."

In July, Veitch's classic car will travel to Wisconsin to appear in an antique car show, but it's unclear what will happen to it after that trip. Veitch, who appeared on "The Tonight Show" in August 2010, said she might consider selling it to host and classic car aficionado Jay Leno if he's interested.

"I haven't talked to Jay Leno yet, but I'm wondering if he's interested," Veitch said early Thursday. "But I don't think I should start talking about it now."

Asked if any of her 4 children, 9 grandchildren or 11 great-grandchildren have expressed interest in the car, Veitch responded: "It wouldn't matter if they did, they're not going to get it. They couldn't take care of it like I did."

The car saw its lone wreck in 1980, when it endured a rear-end collision while Veitch, who was not injured, drove along I-95 in Georgia.

With nearly 600,000 miles behind her, Veitch, who will turn 94 in August, said she's taking the end of her time with "Chariot" in stride. After all, she's had a good run: The last time she bought a car, gas cost 39 cents a gallon, Lyndon B. Johnson was in the White House and "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena" was ruling the radio.

"A lot of people are worse off than I am," she said. "I don't have cancer, I don't have Lou Gehrig's disease. I am lucky."
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

That is awesome. Read about her a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      Sanford, Fla.
      Small world!
      Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      Asked if any of her 4 children, 9 grandchildren or 11 great-grandchildren have expressed interest in the car, Veitch responded: "It wouldn't matter if they did, they're not going to get it. They couldn't take care of it like I did."
      Ouch.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

That would be pretty cool if Jay leno was to buy it.

Comment

My vision is terrible. About a -9.0 in both eyes, and I've been wearing glasses since the age of 5. I dread the day the doctors tell me I can't drive anymore

Props to that lady.

Comment

Should have it updated with the Google self drive like they use on their NASCARs
            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Like a boss.

Comment

not quite as awesome, but there's a lady here in Alvin that I stopped and talked to ~5yrs ago or so...

nicest lady ever. She drives a black '93 Cobra that she and her husband bought brand new. The clear coat is messed up, but the car is in tip-top shape otherwise. I think it's got close to 200k miles. They've never had any problems with it. Had to put one clutch in it. He doesn't drive anymore, but it's her daily

When I told her to call me if she ever wanted to sell it, she quipped "I'll call you after I call the five hundred other people who have made the same offer."

I always say hi to Mary Francis Croix whenever I see her out & about in the Cobra
                http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

It's pretty impressive that my shitbox mustang survived 20K miles of rental car, an over 100K miles of abuse from me. And before you ask...yes I'm careful about changing the oil every 10-15K miles

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                    not quite as awesome, but there's a lady here in Alvin that I stopped and talked to ~5yrs ago or so...

nicest lady ever. She drives a black '93 Cobra that she and her husband bought brand new. The clear coat is messed up, but the car is in tip-top shape otherwise. I think it's got close to 200k miles. They've never had any problems with it. Had to put one clutch in it. He doesn't drive anymore, but it's her daily

When I told her to call me if she ever wanted to sell it, she quipped "I'll call you after I call the five hundred other people who have made the same offer."

I always say hi to Mary Francis Croix whenever I see her out & about in the Cobra
                    LOL that story reminds me of an old retired sheriff that lived by me and use to own a red 93 cobra. This was back around 2000 and it wasn't uncommon to see him driving around town with the hatch propped open. You want to know what he was hauling around. 2 fucking square bales of hay lol. I'd see him do this at least twice a week.

Comment

Once again, one upped by a Fox

Slow moving projects
                      1964 C10 350/700r4
                      1992 LX 5.0

Comment

Isn't she also the lady that kept 1 or 2 guns in the car. Curious if she is keeping those around. Lack of vision could cause issues there, but at the same time she may need to defend herself.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                        X