Harshly worded letter from SC trooper raises concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    The way it reads, no. The cop was pushing for a guilty plea which would be unnecessary if he already knew the guy was going to plead that way.
    no, the way it reads the opposed council has already made his intentions clear he wants to plead guilty. "I would never oppose anyone who questions their guilt requesting the verdict of a jury." that to me looks like if the guy wanted to do anything other than plead guilty he would/should have done so.

looks to me like the trooper has already delt with this person plenty of times and at this point its either shit or get off the pot...

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
      no, the way it reads the opposed council has already made his intentions clear he wants to plead guilty. "I would never oppose anyone who questions their guilt requesting the verdict of a jury." that to me looks like if the guy wanted to do anything other than plead guilty he would/should have done so.

looks to me like the trooper has already delt with this person plenty of times and at this point its either shit or get off the pot...
      Eyewitness News brought that letter to the attention of commanders at the South Carolina Highway Patrol.

"I can tell you that's not what we expect from our troopers," said spokesman Bryan McDougald. "That letter was worded harshly, and strongly."
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Eyewitness News brought that letter to the attention of commanders at the South Carolina Highway Patrol.

"I can tell you that's not what we expect from our troopers," said spokesman Bryan McDougald. "That letter was worded harshly, and strongly."
        and your point is...

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          Just because you break the law it doesn't mean you automatically give up your rights. Also, just because you have no problems freely giving up your rights doesn't mean I do, or should. in fact, just like Frost, I won't.
          I agree as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
            I agree as well.
            me too... if i need the evidence bad enough its time to talk to a judge.

Comment

Or bring the pups out!

Comment

People who don't break the law but have their property seized disagree. You didn't say you'd assert your rights. You said you'd hand the cop your keys.
                re-read post 15 please...

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                  re-read post 15 please...
                  Try reading some of the Dallas Morning News articles about the guys who did decades in jail for crimes they didn't commit and were released because of DNA testing. Then come back and spread that bullshit about not having anything to fear if you have done nothing wrong. You should always protect your interests when dealing with anyone from a government agency. They have the power to steal from you with no repercussions.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I have never been to jail, never had a cop ask to search my car. Could give a shit if they want to. Got a few tickets, (deserved every one of them, and took defensive driving or paid them) . I think these assholes that go around breaking the law and worry about what a cop asks them are the ones you should be whining about. You don't get it, if you know your rights and understand how to assert them, you have nothing to fear, unless you're guilty of something. Therefore, back to my statement, don't break the law asshole...
                    You drive a Prius, don't you?
                    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                      Try reading some of the Dallas Morning News articles about the guys who did decades in jail for crimes they didn't commit and were released because of DNA testing. Then come back and spread that bullshit about not having anything to fear if you have done nothing wrong. You should always protect your interests when dealing with anyone from a government agency. They have the power to steal from you with no repercussions.
                      What you're saying is clutch. Doesn't the government just basically say..."Ooops, sorry about that. You're released, good luck!"

No financial or other obligations for their f'ups - minus whatever may come in court later.

Of course, that could get hairy - cause if tried by jury it maybe arguable that the jury had some responsibility. Although, I know nothing about juries having any liability or any technicalities around that.

Anyway, I'm torn about tax money going to compensate someone for being incarcerated and not being guilty. I will say, I'll lean towards that all day long compared to our damned social programs. I could rationalize it that society failed those imprisoned who were not guilty - so society should help get them back on their feet.

Either way, the point is clear - we can't give up anything as far as freedom and rights go and it's for more than just these scenarios.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I never thought that I would be agreeing with Forever_frost. I whole heartedly agree with every word you just said.

Comment

This X 1000

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                            You drive a Prius, don't you?
                            Nice, can't contribute, so you try to criticize.. back to the topic...

Comment

Nice, can't contribute, so you try to criticize.. back to the topic...
                              Hell, now I'm curious. DO you drive a Prius?
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Ok, valid points. But look at those cases. They are older cases when DNA was not available. These people were convicted based on eye-witness testimony in most cases... Point is, they were dealing the best they could with what was available at the time. (witnesses). I bet 95% of these suspects had other criminal records... Sucks for the people wrongly convicted. They need to be compensated in some fashion.
                                Now, people are wrongly convicted in the media before any trial...
                                Still not convincing me to be worried about this deal. It's a letter, get over it.

Comment

Working...
                                X