BOOSH AT&Greed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOOSH AT&Greed!

Oops, looks like the page is lost. Start your website on the cheap.

As the national news media has reported, three of the Big Four wireless carriers are engaging in Unlimited Data Plan throttling, ostensibly as an effort to free up network bandwidth. Going from lightest to harshest, T-Mobile is very transparently throttling over 5GB of data used, which corresponds to a very small portion of users. Verizon Wireless and AT&T, on the other hand, are utilizing active throttling techniques aimed at the top 5% (in terms of the amount of data used) of unlimited customers. Verizon Wireless will reduce speeds as minimally as possible, for as little time as possible based on geographic network load. AT&T will heavily throttle back for the remainder of a billing cycle based, similarly, on geographic network load.

The question remains, however, why throttling is necessary at all. In other words, are the carriers throttling because of wild and crazy unlimited users hogging enormous bandwidth or are the carriers throttling as essentially a tactic to get grandfathered unlimited users to hurry up and switch to tiered data plans?

As you can see from the graph below, extracted from a sample of over 55,000 2011 cell bills, this does not appear to be an issue of data hogging. When we look at the Top 5% of data users, there is virtually no difference in data consumption between those on unlimited and those on tiered plans—and yet the unlimited consumers are the ones at risk of getting their service turned off. So it’s curious that anyone would think the throttling here represents a serious effort at alleviating network bandwidth issues. After all, Sprint gets by fine maintaining non-throttled unlimited data to its customers.

ATT doesnt throttle the top 5% of users any longer.

Over 3gb for 3G devices and over 5gb for 4G/LTE devices get throttled.

Comment

Do you work for a cell phone company or something?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        Do you work for a cell phone company or something?
        Seriously.

He seems to have an unhealthy fixation of At&t and Iphones in particular....

It's just phones, not love.

Comment

No, don't work for a wireless provider, just stay up on things that are important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
            No, don't work for a wireless provider, just stay up on things that are important to me.

Why are cell phones so important to you?

Comment

Not cell phones, but the shady bidness practices of providers that effect myself and others.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                Not cell phones, but the shady bidness practices of providers that effect myself and others.
                I'll admit I haven't looked, but what were some of the bidness practices of businesses other than phone companies nad apple you have railed against?

Comment

None in recent times.

Sent from my iPhail eleventybillion

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                    Why are cell phones so important to you?
                    He would have nothing else to post about...
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Just an FYI, MetroPCS offers unlimited 4G data, text, & talk for $60/month.

2008 Pontiac G8
                      Bone Stock
                      Best ET: 13.7 @ 102mph

2013 Chevrolet Corvolte

Comment

Working...
                      X