Baseball cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1042 View Post
    I have a cal Ripken jr photo, Barry larkin card, and George Brett card, all autographed. All would need to be authenticated though, trying to see if it's worth my while to do so
    Although those are legends in the game, it all depends on the card itself. If the card is considered "common" then it will not have much of a value. Look up the card on tuffstuff.com to give you an idea of what the card is worth (pre-autograph). If you have a 60 cent card, dont waste your time since you will spend more on authenticating it then what you would make on selling it.
    2015 Premium GT (50th Anniversary Package)
    2014 Lincoln MKT

Comment

The problem was the late 90's - early 2000's. Manufacturers saturated the market with millions of cards. Basically, they made the cards worthless. Imagine having Michael Jordan's rookie card......now imagine thousands of other people having the same card.
      2015 Premium GT (50th Anniversary Package)
      2014 Lincoln MKT

Comment

Originally posted by BigTitan21 View Post
        The problem was the late 90's - early 2000's. Manufacturers saturated the market with millions of cards. Basically, they made the cards worthless. Imagine having Michael Jordan's rookie card......now imagine thousands of other people having the same card.
        Right comment, wrong time period. It started in the mid to late 80's. The worst being Pro-Set, and Score. They saturated the market with huge sets(some with 500+sets) and then overproduced the hell out of them. Most cards back then are worthless, with exceptions to errors and a few low ran superstar rookie cards.

The 90's started to get really exotic with the designs, and the quality went up along with inserts being the big fad. But they still overproduced most sets until the late 90's when the card companies started limited running the rookie cards and insert sets. Cards from back then were pretty highly sought after.

I pretty much got out by the early 2000's so I don't really know the trends now. They started making insert cards with jersey and signature cards and that was the new hot thing. Not sure what it is now.

To give an example of how crazy the market is. I pulled a Flair Showcase Edgerrin James rookie card in 99 or 2000. I went back into the card shop to show the owner, and he offered me $250 right off the bat, without hesitation. And he was pretty spot on with what it was quoted for in Tuff Stuff. In todays market, the card is worth maybe $20-$30. It was only that high for a month or two, and that was at James's peak.

So yea, those old cards have alot working against them.
        Last edited by mstng86; 03-28-2012, 08:41 AM.

Comment

whats the going rate for my Billy Ripken fuck face?

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
            whats the going rate for my Billy Ripken fuck face?

god bless.
            thats one of those error cards I was referring to. I bet it is higher than most of the cards from that time period.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              thats one of those error cards I was referring to. I bet it is higher than most of the cards from that time period.
              no....i was asking you a question. fuck face.

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

One day I'm going to finish going through my cards and send them off to be graded. I've got a stack of around 100 right now to be graded, and need to sort through another 500 or so.

I believe the internet killed the hobby due to the fact that you now had a means to see 100's of the same card for sale on ebay. Grading services have also changed the game, but in a good way for the higher end stuff.

I collected pretty seriously for 15 years, mainly basketball and baseball, including the first few sets of upperdeck baseball. Some of these sets need to opened to release good cards for possible grading.

Comment

god bless.
                  i is hurt.

Last edited by mstng86; 03-28-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

dont get all 91coupemike on us!

god bless.

Comment

dont get all 91coupemike on us!

god bless.
                      shits gettin sketchy up in here.

Comment

god bless.
                        Lol, I think there was a card with Ripken on it that said "Fuck" on the bat. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by musclestang89 View Post
                          Lol, I think there was a card with Ripken on it that said "Fuck" on the bat. Lol
                          too slow

Comment

I figure just hold on to them for another 20 years and see what happens. I'm betting at some point they'll increase in value. May not 80s-90s value, but enough to make it worthwhile letting them go.

Too much nostalgic value at this point for me to give them away.
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                              I figure just hold on to them for another 20 years and see what happens. I'm betting at some point they'll increase in value. May not 80s-90s value, but enough to make it worthwhile letting them go.

Too much nostalgic value at this point for me to give them away.
                              I figure in 40 years large numbers of them will be thrown away due to the fact they are near worthless. That should help some. I enjoyed the hobby, but I do wish I'd have saved the money instead. I would buy a box every two weeks during the grass cutting months.

Comment

It's a completely different game these days. Packs of cards use to be .50 or $1. Now, the packs of the good cards are $300-$500. You are paying $500 (Yes...Thats Five Hundred Dollars)for a "pack" of cards containing 5 cards. Its not for kids anymore.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X