Brazos @ Whitney dam: Flood stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazos @ Whitney dam: Flood stage

So in august we did this trip with the lowest water level in years.
    thread here
    Anyone been in the area lately? I'm planing on a 8.5 mile trip, starting at the dam tomorrow. The guy who was going to shuttle us up (Dicks canoe rental. We use our own canoe, he just lets us park at his place, and shuttles us up to the dam). He says the water is low, but the trip is doable. The guys business is renting

A few naysayers discouraged this trip, a few people said it was doable. We went, it was rough, but I'm glad we did it. If we did it then, we can do it anytime.

Now that the river is at "flood stage", we are giving it another shot. Our shuttle "dicks canoe rental" said he won't put in his canoes, but if we brought our own, he would drop us off. He said the only real dangerous aspect of it is the lack of a bank. "if you fall out, its difficult to get back in".
    Last year took about 5 hours paddling 100% of the way. "Dick" said this would be a two hour float.
    Too be honest I'm fucking excited.

Going off this link , it looks like its 29' high right after the dam. Man, it was about 1' in august.

Has anyone canoed 'flood waters'? Will we fucking die?
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I've done 13-15 MPH the biggest problem for us was places where the current would push you into tree limbs or downed brush/misc. You just have to watch for and stay ahead of it.

We also ended up helping people, 2 people over turned in a canoe with kids and some drunk meth heads.
    WRX

Comment

I totally thought this page read, "Brazzers.." LOL
      Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Canoed it several times when I was in scouts and it was nothing you couldn't handle, just have to keep an eye out on which way the current's taking you. Just make sure whoever is in the rear of the canoe really knows how to steer. I've kayaked and canoed the Buffalo River in Arkansas a few times and the Brazos was nothing compared to the Buffalo at flood levels.
        Originally posted by Jester
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
        He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
        Originally posted by Denny
        What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
        FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

You're probably going to die, take it easy...
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Was actually going to go down there today till I saw they are releasing 8000CFS!! Careful out there man. Youre biggest threat IMO is getting turned sideways somehow i.e. hitting a rock/submerged stump, snagging a fishing pole on a tree etc. I personally paddle a kayak, thats ballsy doing it in a canoe. Have fun though man let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
              Was actually going to go down there today till I saw they are releasing 8000CFS!! Careful out there man. Youre biggest threat IMO is getting turned sideways somehow i.e. hitting a rock/submerged stump, snagging a fishing pole on a tree etc. I personally paddle a kayak, thats ballsy doing it in a canoe. Have fun though man let us know how it goes.
              I agree, The only possible trouble I could foresee is getting sideways. It's too high to hit something submerged if we stay in the middle, right? There's rocks and things in the middle, but not if its over 5 feet, right? I'm sure near the bank there is plenty of stuff if the water is high enough to hide docks and such, right?

Where did you see 8000CFS? Why would that turn you off to the idea? Wouldn't more water be more fun, or am I just that ignorant?
              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

It would be a very dangerous trip, I lived less than 500 yards from that river for 28 years, there is no way in hell I would go down it in a canoe while it is flowing like that.

Stevo
                Originally posted by SSMAN
                ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                  It would be a very dangerous trip, I lived less than 500 yards from that river for 28 years, there is no way in hell I would go down it in a canoe while it is flowing like that.

Stevo
                  Reasons for danger? Keep it straight, and stay in the middle, right?
                  DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                    Dude, stop being a pussy. Get your ass out there and paddle away, whats the worst that could happen...
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Harrison, have you been whitewater rafting?
                      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

Spinning currents, very dangerous undertows and lots of debris since it has been years since they have flooded. If you swamp the canoe, you will basically be dead.

Stevo
                        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Harrison, have you been whitewater rafting?
                          LOL @ rapids in the Brazos. It's not the Royal Gorge!
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            That's the point I'm trying to get across, if he's ever been white water rafting then he shouldn't have any trouble on the Brazos, it's nothing like it.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              When the floodgates are open, it is worse. All of the water gets funneled between shear cliffs in a few places.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                              X