No announcement yet.

$140 No-Seat Belt Ticket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are classic cars required to have seatbelts?

Q: Is it legal to drive a vintage pre-1963 car without a seatbelt?

A: Yes, it is legal, but the State Patrol discourages it.

According to state law, people can't sell an automobile manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1964 unless it's equipped with automobile seat belts installed for front seat use, conforming to rules adopted by the State Patrol.

Owners also may not register those cars until those conditions are met. The State Patrol standards can't be below those specified as minimum requirements by the Society of Automotive Engineers on June 13, 1963.

Comment

• Originally posted by scootro View Post
      http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911...ves/152256.asp
      Are classic cars required to have seatbelts?

Q: Is it legal to drive a vintage pre-1963 car without a seatbelt?

A: Yes, it is legal, but the State Patrol discourages it.

According to state law, people can't sell an automobile manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1964 unless it's equipped with automobile seat belts installed for front seat use, conforming to rules adopted by the State Patrol.

Owners also may not register those cars until those conditions are met. The State Patrol standards can't be below those specified as minimum requirements by the Society of Automotive Engineers on June 13, 1963.
      Right, (even though you quoted a discussion about the law in Washington State).

But most States either go with the post-1963 production or if the particular vehicle in question actually came with the safety equipment. Even then, back seats weren't mandatory until 1965. My dad's 1964 1/2 fastback had only front seatbelts.

Comment

• This is actually quoted out of the Texas Traffic Code:

ยง 545.413. SAFETY BELTS; OFFENSE.
        (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
        (1) is at least 15 years of age;
        (2) is riding in the front seat of a passenger vehicle
        while the vehicle is being operated;
        (3) is occupying a seat that is equipped with a safety belt; and
        (4) is not secured by a safety belt.
        (b) A person commits an offense if the person:
        (1) operates a passenger vehicle that is equipped with safety belts; and
        (2) allows a child who is younger than 17 years of age and who is not required to be secured in a child passenger safety seat system under Section 545.412(a) to ride in the vehicle without requiring the child to be secured by a safety belt, provided the child is occupying a seat that is equipped with a safety belt.
        (c) A passenger vehicle or a seat in a passenger vehicle is considered to be equipped with a safety belt if the vehicle is required under Section 547.601 to be equipped with safety belts.

So then we look up Section 547.601

ยง 547.601. SAFETY BELTS REQUIRED. A motor vehicle
        required by Chapter 548 to be inspected shall be equipped with front
        safety belts if safety belt anchorages were part of the
        manufacturer's original equipment on the vehicle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denny View Post
          This is actually quoted out of the Texas Traffic Code:

ยง 545.413. SAFETY BELTS; OFFENSE.
          (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
          (1) is at least 15 years of age;
          (2) is riding in the front seat of a passenger vehicle
          while the vehicle is being operated;
          (3) is occupying a seat that is equipped with a safety belt; and
          (4) is not secured by a safety belt.
          (b) A person commits an offense if the person:
          (1) operates a passenger vehicle that is equipped with safety belts; and
          (2) allows a child who is younger than 17 years of age and who is not required to be secured in a child passenger safety seat system under Section 545.412(a) to ride in the vehicle without requiring the child to be secured by a safety belt, provided the child is occupying a seat that is equipped with a safety belt.
          (c) A passenger vehicle or a seat in a passenger vehicle is considered to be equipped with a safety belt if the vehicle is required under Section 547.601 to be equipped with safety belts.

So then we look up Section 547.601

ยง 547.601. SAFETY BELTS REQUIRED. A motor vehicle
          required by Chapter 548 to be inspected shall be equipped with front
          safety belts if safety belt anchorages were part of the
          manufacturer's original equipment on the vehicle.
          interesting! i've noticed most cops target people when they don't see a shoulder strap when you pass them on the highway but with just the lap bet they can't see it unless your pulled over.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
            So how about a law against something else arbitrary, how about unusually large tits? They could be a distraction and cause an accident. We'll set up PSAs about the dangers of big boobs and have our henchmen watching out for violators.

And since you see any fine as acceptable, no matter the severity of the "crime", then we'll make this a thousand per offense. Now give me two grand bitch, or someone will be knocking on your door.

The seat belt laws reek of Big Brother / nanny state, and the fines reek of mafia activity. All in the name of "public safety." Give me a break. More like "legal extortion."
            LMAO large tits and seat belt rule, really!!! LOL I think you have boobies on the mind son!

Comment

Well, fuck... beat the man and avoid paying him by wearing the fucking belt! I already showed how it will affect other people by you not wearing it. The law is fine.
              My point isn't that we shouldn't be wearing seat belts. The point is, it shouldn't be a legal requirement. I always wear mine, law or no law.
              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                My point isn't that we shouldn't be wearing seat belts. The point is, it shouldn't be a legal requirement. I always wear mine, law or no law.
                That's it... Imma beat that ass!

Comment

That's it... Imma beat that ass!
                  and by beat he means PITB!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DaisyDoesDallas View Post
                    I just used that as an excuse for you that one time.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaisyDoesDallas View Post
                      My GOD your husband is a lucky man.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by scootro View Post
                        interesting! i've noticed most cops target people when they don't see a shoulder strap when you pass them on the highway but with just the lap bet they can't see it unless your pulled over.
                        Yeah, ive been pulled over in a 67 mustang for seat belt violation. I showed him the lap belts but it only seemed to irritate him. Hell I recieved a seat belt ticket from a officer in training years ago, in my 85gt. I had my belt on but i was accused of putting it on after I was pulled over. I paid that ticket because I didnt feel like going to court to try my luck with my word vs his.

Comment

• if you are sitting in the front seat of my car or are in the back and under 18 i aint moving till you have a seat belt on. dont like it, then gtfo and walk

Comment

Working...
                          X