X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feds Seek Help From Google to Unlock Pimp’s Cellphone

Feds Seek Help From Google to Unlock Pimp’s Cellphone

Posted on March 16, 2012 at 11:59pm by Liz Klimas Liz Klimas

Dante Dears went to prison in 2005 for pimping as part of a prostitution ring and was released last spring. Authorities believe he has started the nefarious practice again, but they need to get into his cellphone to prove it.
    Feds Serve Google With Warrant to Unlock San Diego Pimps Phone

Dante Dears has been accused of "telephone pimping."

NBC San Diego reports that authorities believe Dears was using his phone to pimp women in the prostitution ring “Pimpin’ Hoes Daily” to get around GPS monitoring. Dears’ Android Samsung phone is one where the password requires entering a correct pattern. Too many attempts with the incorrect sequence caused the phone to lock. With Dears not cooperating, the feds have gone as far to get a warrant requesting Google help them crack the code.
    Feds Serve Google With Warrant to Unlock San Diego Pimps Phone

A patterned password, such as this, was required to unlock Dears' phone.

Google, which owns the Android operating system, has said it will comply with the request but only after the warrant is authenticated. Watch the NBC affilate’s report:

NBC San Diego reports a media lawyer as saying Google would have no reason not to comply with the warrant, should it prove authentic.

Still, in the hypothetical scenario that it doesn’t, there could be the potential that the court might force Dears to input his password. In a recent case of a Colorado woman allegedly involved in real estate fraud, the authorities seized a laptop from her home with a warrant. The laptop was expertly encrypted. From there the feds petitioned the court to force Ramona Fricosu to unlock the device. Fricosu argued that she should be protected from doing so according to her Fifth Amendment right to protect herself against self-incrimination. Fricosu’s saga ended with her laptop being decrypted with a password provided to authorities by a co-defendant. Still the case brought up the constitutionality of the woman being order to open her laptop when the authorities only speculated evidence was on the device.

In Dears’ case, Google has said it is making sure the warrant “meets both the letter and spirit of the law before complying.” NBC San Diego reports local attorneys saying Google receives requests for its users’ information frequently but requires authentication of warrants to avoid getting sued itself.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Pimpin' ain't EZ.

Comment

you would think the govt would have someone smart enough to figure out for themselves.
      sigpic

Comment

A kid at my girls school got past the android lock screen for my daughter when she forgot the pattern ! Our government will probably spend 50 grand to unlock this guys phone . Fuckin idiots !
        The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

The government knows about google the noun, but doesn't know shit about google the verb.

Comment

Pimpin' ain't easy...

Comment

Have they tried 1234?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                  Have they tried 1234?
                  Originally posted by 01vnms4v View Post
                  Pattern Lock:

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
                    A kid at my girls school got past the android lock screen for my daughter when she forgot the pattern ! Our government will probably spend 50 grand to unlock this guys phone . Fuckin idiots !
                    I'd bet they have spent a lot more than that already.

Stevo
                    Originally posted by SSMAN
                    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

They don't need to unlock it. All their SMS/MMS messages and phone logs are sitting in unencrypted SQLite databases in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases.
                      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                      X