DOT Audit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOT Audit

The company I work for is getting their Safety Audit tomorrow. I was the compliance officer for a few years before stepping back into a driver position (less stress/higher pay) and I spent those years building the compliance department from nothing. I'm pretty confident that my successor will be going in well prepared, but I'm also confident that we won't be perfect.

Anybody here been through one of these? This will be our first real one. Just curious what to expect.

depends is it state or federal? There is a difference.

Comment

It's a state audit. We had to transfer our DOT authority last year after a name/ownership change and are now considered a "new entrant".

Comment

should not be to bad. Make sure you have driver qualification files, drug test files and maybe log files. I forget what else you need. Been awhile. They wil probably make a case against the company just depends on the person doing the audit.

Comment

I was the compliance officer at my company but just moved over to fixed assets. We had one back in December and scored 100%. It's not as bad as you think it might be. As long as you show your company is organzied and trying very hard to always improve and willing to make changes, you will do just fine.
          Last edited by ImayBblack; 03-14-2012, 08:37 AM.
          See you later...

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
            It's a state audit. We had to transfer our DOT authority last year after a name/ownership change and are now considered a "new entrant".
            Thats just a mock audit not a real one. They basically will pull 5 DQ files, 5 Maitenence files, 5 drivers logs and look at all your proper paperwork on your DOT readiness file. If you do good on all of those..they wont go any further.
            See you later...

Comment

They are making us bring everything to them. The list they sent over should have just said bring everything....because it is. DQ files, Drug and Alcohol screens, Maint files, BOL's, HOS (logs and time cards).....all of it. I built the department and keep telling them that everything will be fine if they just put it all together and be as honest as possible and don't over complicate things.

Comment

They are making us bring everything to them. The list they sent over should have just said bring everything....because it is. DQ files, Drug and Alcohol screens, Maint files, BOL's, HOS (logs and time cards).....all of it. I built the department and keep telling them that everything will be fine if they just put it all together and be as honest as possible and don't over complicate things.
                Yeah our letter said bring EVERYTHING too, so i packed a work truck up plum full of all the files. When we got there and the auditer said just grab a box of each. So we put them on the cart and went up stairs. When we sat down she said to grab 5 files of each, checked them and asked us some questions.

Like i said make sure your organzied and you will be ok. You need to know exactly where everything is (D&A policy, Equipment Roster, All files, Driver List, etc.) The wasier you make it on them the better.

Also, they will not fine you this go around. If they do find a shit load of mistakes, they will tell you how to correct them and then follow up in a set amount of time. THATS when you need to be sweating.

If you pass this new entrant audit then they wont ever bother you again unless you have a fatality or a complaint of some sort.
                See you later...

Comment

Originally posted by ImayBblack View Post
                  Yeah our letter said bring EVERYTHING too, so i packed a work truck up plum full of all the files. When we got there and the auditer said just grab a box of each. So we put them on the cart and went up stairs. When we sat down she said to grab 5 files of each, checked them and asked us some questions.

Like i said make sure your organzied and you will be ok. You need to know exactly where everything is (D&A policy, Equipment Roster, All files, Driver List, etc.) The wasier you make it on them the better.

Also, they will not fine you this go around. If they do find a shit load of mistakes, they will tell you how to correct them and then follow up in a set amount of time. THATS when you need to be sweating.

If you pass this new entrant audit then they wont ever bother you again unless you have a fatality or a complaint of some sort.
                  Good to know man, thanks. I've got A LOT of man hours invested in that department and my name is all over it still. I really just want to see it all go smoothly.

Thanks again!

Comment

"Sweet! I'm gettin' an Audi."

"No Lois, it's a foreign car, the T is silent."

Comment

Good to know man
                      Heh
                      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                      Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Originally posted by samhain View Post
                        heh
                        woman!! :-)
                        See you later...

Comment

Is this a bad time to say we got fined in ours lol We are water haulers and not OTR so we don't have to keep logs though.

Good luck!

I’m too slow for the fast cars and too fast for the slow cars.

Comment

Originally posted by halo/horns View Post
                            Is this a bad time to say we got fined in ours lol We are water haulers and not OTR so we don't have to keep logs though.

Good luck!
                            I guess we'll know tomorrow

Comment

I guess we'll know tomorrow

We weren't exactly... following the rules so if you are, you'll be fine!

I’m too slow for the fast cars and too fast for the slow cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X