No more Encyclopedia Brittanica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more Encyclopedia Brittanica

After almost 250 years, the Encyclopedia Brittanica will no longer be printed.

The tried and true reference of the ages will be going digital and the hard copies will no longer be produced.

Those of us in our 40s and older grew up on these books using them for book reports, and other school projects while growing up.

You can still get your copy for $1,395 while supplies last.

Our bookstore features our bestselling Merriam-Webster's Collegiate? Dictionary; the classic Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged; The Official SCRABBLE? Players Dictionary; and much more.

Damn $1400 no wonder. I remember growing up and my parents making payments on the encyclopedia's. We would get 1-2 books a month and she would send the checks out. Ohh the golden age.

Comment

god bless wikipedia

Comment

It's a shame, but not in the least bit surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          It's a shame, but not in the least bit surprising.
          Its going the same way as Polaroid and Kodak. Just one of those things that just doesn't have a place any longer in our technology age.

Comment

Comment

$43.5X per book is pretty reasonable, until you take into account that there are 32 volumes. That's a huge amount of paper, and it takes up a ridiculous amount of space.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                $43.5X per book is pretty reasonable, until you take into account that there are 32 volumes. That's a huge amount of paper, and it takes up a ridiculous amount of space.
                but it makes you look smart sitting on the book shelf!

Comment

Damn. I remember selling them door to door when I was 15.

It has always intrigued me that for 100s of years them sum of human knowledge could fit onto 1 book shelf.

You can pick up good sets on Craigslist for $100.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I am actually surprised it took this long. with Google, WIki, etc. kids today probably do not even know what encyclopedias are now a days.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                      lmao
                      How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                        Damn. I remember selling them door to door when I was 15.

It has always intrigued me that for 100s of years them sum of human knowledge could fit onto 1 book shelf.

You can pick up good sets on Craigslist for $100.
                        Even encyclopedias do not include all of the information on a given topic, that's why they can fit on one shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                          Not sure if srs.
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

How will future generations know where their 'mandibula' is?

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
                              How will future generations know where their 'mandibula' is?
                              Or "uvula"????

Comment

Working...
                              X