Flying in a flight sim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying in a flight sim?

I didn't even know you could do this, saw it come through living social and couldn't pass it up.

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

that would be a really cool gift for someone who is into airplanes

Comment

You could celebrate by going to taco Bell right across the street afterwards!

Comment

Or get a Computer Science or Electrical Engineering degree and work at L-3 Link Simulation in Arlington. They always need software engineers with military aviation backgrounds. They build and maintain F-16, F-18, F-22, etc flight sims for the military. The sims were housed in a bubble dome visual system. We can fly them standalone or networked with other sims. I used to spend half my day dropping GPS guided bombs over Las Vegas trying to get the scoring to work right.
        Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
          Or get a Computer Science or Electrical Engineering degree and work at L-3 Link Simulation in Arlington. They always need software engineers with military aviation backgrounds. They build and maintain F-16, F-18, F-22, etc flight sims for the military. The sims were housed in a bubble dome visual system. We can fly them standalone or networked with other sims. I used to spend half my day dropping GPS guided bombs over Las Vegas trying to get the scoring to work right.
          ah shit, you lucky bastard!
          Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Did something similar for a time (although not as high fidelity).

The cockpits were based on F-16 block 40s and ran both an updated graphical version of Free Falcon and F\A18 Hornet Korea. Almost the entire cockpit interface was usable (switches, landing gear, etc) through an epic card keyboard emulator interface and fully functional F-16 HOTAS throttle and stick combo.

Some cockpits were gimbled for 3 axis movement and others used a projector screen that took up an entire wall.

Probably not quite as high fidelity as what propellerhead got to mess with, but fun enough to rank as my favorite job ever.... (even when I had to start pulling interfaces from the cockpits and bring out the soldering iron...)

The nights of bringing in the 12 packs and booting up the servers for a little late-night ACM (Air Combat Maneuvering) and bragging rights still are fresh in my mind.....

Comment

Use to have SWA as a customer and would get seat time in the simulators.

Comment

When I was still in Abilene I was on the B-1B simulator program. That was also a full up trainer used by the USAF. It had a 180 degree projected visual screen and was on a full motion base. That and the F-16 sim jobs were probably the best ones I've had. It's hard to beat doing some change to the software then throwing it on the box and flying it. When I worked airplane programs (B-1B, T-50, F-35), they weren't as fun because test pilots got to fly them.

Comment

You suck and I'm still jealous about that!
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
                  George Orwell

Comment

<--- 110 hours in the SH-60F Seahawk simulator. Best video game EVAR!
                    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

I do some fab work for a BIG, local, flight sim company. I can say for sure, That is some seriously fun shit!

Comment

Originally posted by Treadhead View Post
                        You suck and I'm still jealous about that!
                        But you get to arrest people and tackle 300 lb naked women on crack!

Comment

We got to fly it twice (was there for eng run qualification). After the training, there was enough time so they let us fly it around the pattern...Crashed that mofo. KC-10 sim at Barksdale. Very cool!

Comment

I work on and fly them everyday. It was very cool when I first started but is like every other job. It gets old. I've brought a few people in from the board to fly and they usually have a blast.

Comment

But you get to arrest people and tackle 300 lb naked women on crack!
                              I still have nightmares about that!
                              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
                              George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                              X