Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't you set the cruise control at 20 mph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't you set the cruise control at 20 mph?

I hate going through school zones, it's hard to keep it at 20.

I've had Ford, Mazda, and Honda, and none of them will let you set the cruise at 20.

usually minimum speed is 25 for cruise control, no clue as to why though...probably some stupid safety thing
    2009 Mercedes C63 AMG

Comment

My Dad had an 03 Dodge that wouldn't let you set above 80 or 85 (I don't remember), but that was pretty irritating too.

Comment

My Mazda will let you set it at whatever speed you want, as long as you're not idling.

Comment

Probably to force you to pay attention in school zones

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
            I hate going through school zones, it's hard to keep it at 20.

I've had Ford, Mazda, and Honda, and none of them will let you set the cruise at 20.
            You get to see both worlds ain't it grand

Comment

Originally posted by johnny--2k View Post
              usually minimum speed is 25 for cruise control, no clue as to why though...probably some stupid safety thing
              It's to keep you from ghostriding the whip!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremycg777 View Post
                You get to see both worlds ain't it grand
                WTF are you talking about kid?

Comment

You can with some older vehicles. I know a friend of mine had an older '70s van that he could set the cruise to about 80, eventually slow down to a stop, then hit resume and have it boil the tires trying to get back to 80mph.

Comment

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
                    You can with some older vehicles. I know a friend of mine had an older '70s van that he could set the cruise to about 80, eventually slow down to a stop, then hit resume and have it boil the tires trying to get back to 80mph.
                    I had a '77 Lincoln that you could set the CC at any speed and it would do that. You could take it to over 120 with the accel button, I did it once.

Stevo
                    Originally posted by SSMAN
                    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

So you cant get out of the vehicle and let it keep going?
                      Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
                      Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                        Probably to force you to pay attention in school zones
                        I doubt that's the reason, but if it is, it's genius. As an aside, nothing on the road pisses me off more than some clueless person or "I'm too busy to slow down" person flying past me in school zones.

Comment

Found this online,

"35 MPH
                          On most cars, 35 MPH is about the lowest speed setting for cruise control. Cruise control works by taking control of the engine throttle, opening or closing it as needed to maintain a constant speed. However, the car has to be moving fast enough for the transmission to be turning in one of the higher gears, while still maintaining enough power to propel the car without bogging or stalling. You have probably noticed your transmission kicking down to a lower gear when you give it any gas at all from a low speed like 20 MPH. The mechanism is not designed to maintain a constant speed with the transmission shifting like that.

A newer type of automatic transmission, called a continuously variable transmission (CVT) may not have the same problems. However, most people don't use cruise control in city traffic, where constant acceleration and braking are needed, so it isn't practical to design a cruise control that operates at lower speeds."

I guess cruise is designed for highway, and that's it.
                          Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
                          Baja-Bob.com

Comment

I tried to set the cruise in my Trans Am once in BFE at about 120 and it wouldn't set and it has to be going above about 30. When I slowed to under 100 it would work. I can set it on my Grand National at any speed over about 15.

Comment

School zones are 100-maybe 200 yards at best. Do you mean to tell me that the ones that lead "those that are there to serve and protect" can't even maintain focus for one single minute?

It's ponderous, man.. ponderous.....

Comment

Working...
                              X