No Solar Flare Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Solar Flare Thread?

The Weather Channel and weather.com provide a national and local weather forecast for cities, as well as weather radar, report and hurricane coverage

Major Solar Flare Erupts from the Sun
    by Tim Ballisty, weather.com Meteorologist

Play Video
    Video: Aurora borealis from above

What happened?
    - The sun let loose an intense solar flare on Tuesday, March 6 at 7:28pm ET from sunspot 1429.

- This is 2nd largest flare during this current solar activity cycle.

Magnitude of event
    - This eruption from the sun has been classified as an X5.4-class solar flare.

- X-class flares are the strongest classification of solar flares.

Solar Flare: Sunspot 1429 is where a major solar flare erupted on the sun during the evening of March 6, 2012. Credit: NASA/SDO/HMI

Consequences
    - This powerful solar flare has unleashed a coronal mass ejection into space.

- CME is not squarely-earth directed but will be direct enough to offer a glancing blow to Earth on Thursday, March 8 (source: @Camilla_SDO)

- The CME will yield a a G3 or "strong" geomagnetic storm.

- The storm has the potential to trip electrical power grids. Its radio emissions can disrupt global positioning systems to make them less accurate.

- The effects of this G3 storm are set to arrive very early Thursday morning.

- Meanwhile, a solar radiation storm is still in progress and levels are at S3 (strong).

- Communication problems and radiation from the storm will probably force airplanes to avoid flying over the north and south poles.

- Additional Information: Space weather can have serious implications

Will there be auroras?
    - Absolutely. There is near certainty that this solar storm will produce aurora across the northern latitudes and could produce them as far south as the mid-latitudes.

- You can expect auroras to appear on March 8 and March 9.

Snap Photos!
    - If you happen to be one of the lucky to witness aurora in the night sky, get out your smart phones or cameras and upload to weather.com/iwitness.

- You can also post your aurora photos on our Facebook page or tweet them to us @weatherchannel.

Video of X5.4-Class Solar Flare Eruption

Flare Eruption: The active region 1429 unleashed a powerful X5.4-class solar flare. X-class flares are the strongest of the flares. They are major events that can trigger planet-wide radio blackouts and long-lasting radiation storms. Credit: NASA/SDO
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

I have the house covered in tin foil.
    http://DallasGunTrader.com

Comment

We're all gonna die!!!!!!!!!

Comment

bring it im ready

Comment

I guess I'll be wearing my Faraday cage suit for the next few days.
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Sun sez:

Fuck Yo Magnetosphere!!!

Comment

If this solar flare has cropped ears, we're in trouble...
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

The highest reading recorded recently is an X28, observed in 2003.

I think we're ok

Comment

<---wonders when the first person to kill someone during the "storm" and blame it on the "storm" will be...
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                    <---wonders when the first person to kill someone during the "storm" and blame it on the "storm" will be...
                    Don't hold your breath, they're still busy blaming Bush.

Comment

What do we do if our lawn mowers and cars randomly start cranking up and driving themselves around at 3am?

Comment

What do we do if our lawn mowers and cars randomly start cranking up and driving themselves around at 3am?
                        Make your way to the truck stop where people will be held up with a cache of weapons in the basement. Sneak into the sewer via the showers, get across town using the weapons to shoot vehicles that would try to kill you. Find a sailboat and sail to the island that allows not motor vehicles until it's over...
                        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Make your way to the truck stop where people will be held up with a cache of weapons in the basement. Sneak into the sewer via the showers, get across town using the weapons to shoot vehicles that would try to kill you. Find a sailboat and sail to the island that allows not motor vehicles until it's over...
                          You forgot....listen to AC/DC the whole time....
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

What movie is this? Sounds epic.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              You forgot....listen to AC/DC the whole time....
                              Urg, maybe I can go beach myself with 29 of my friends.

Stevo
                              Originally posted by SSMAN
                              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Working...
                              X