Those with sons in little league baseball or who played growing up...inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those with sons in little league baseball or who played growing up...inside

Here is my dilemma.....My son is 9y.o. and playing in the 10U player pitch baseball league here in Crandall. Another season another big purchase. Time to get larger bat, bigger glove, and new cleats.

My problem is justifying the big $$$ for a nicer glove and bat versus the standard items that you can get. I bought him a nike glove and di marinni bat last season and he has out grown both of them. Looks like the new trend is big barrel bats, and then of course a larger glove.

Do I go ahead and buy the big barrel bat for $149-249.99 or stick with a standard barrel in his length and weight range for $79-99 or jump to the big barrel? Will he see any benefits with using the big barrel style bat over a traditional style bat?

Do I go ahead and spend the extra money on a nicer glove now and get a glove size that not only fits comfortably now but aslo has room to grow, or stick with your standard rawlings, mazzuno, or nike glove for $49-69. The others start at $79.99-209.99. Challenge here is he is a lefty and most your nicer gloves for a lefty are order online through the stores only. So trying them on for comfort will be very difficult.

What other training tools do you dads with kids who have played several years and have grown up to the high school/college level or those have played yourself recommend? We already have a practice T and plan on getting one of those pop up nets to hit into, and a couple dozen practice baseballs and wiffle balls. DO you suggest the hit-a-way practice ball on the flexible pole, or any other gimmicky type tools to help him improve his skills?

Thanks for any input in advance....

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
    Here is my dilemma.....My son is 9y.o. and playing in the 10U player pitch baseball league here in Crandall. Another season another big purchase. Time to get larger bat, bigger glove, and new cleats.

My problem is justifying the big $$$ for a nicer glove and bat versus the standard items that you can get. I bought him a nike glove and di marinni bat last season and he has out grown both of them. Looks like the new trend is big barrel bats, and then of course a larger glove.

Do I go ahead and buy the big barrel bat for $149-249.99 or stick with a standard barrel in his length and weight range for $79-99 or jump to the big barrel? Will he see any benefits with using the big barrel style bat over a traditional style bat?

Do I go ahead and spend the extra money on a nicer glove now and get a glove size that not only fits comfortably now but aslo has room to grow, or stick with your standard rawlings, mazzuno, or nike glove for $49-69. The others start at $79.99-209.99. Challenge here is he is a lefty and most your nicer gloves for a lefty are order online through the stores only. So trying them on for comfort will be very difficult.

What other training tools do you dads with kids who have played several years and have grown up to the high school/college level or those have played yourself recommend? We already have a practice T and plan on getting one of those pop up nets to hit into, and a couple dozen practice baseballs and wiffle balls. DO you suggest the hit-a-way practice ball on the flexible pole, or any other gimmicky type tools to help him improve his skills?

Thanks for any input in advance....
    So you've now opened a can of worms and will hear from a million people claiming to be experts. I have over 30 years on the field as a player, umpire, league commissioner, coach, etc. I'm currently coaching teams for both of my boys (8 & 4). The 8 year old is 5'1" at 105 pounds and left handed. You can find good gear, but you have to know where to look. I'll try to break stuff down for you in parts.

Bats: Big barrel bats are the hot item now and have been for a few years. Leagues used to only allow them at age 13 and up when the kids moved to the bigger field. Now, associations like USSSA allow them across the board, even down to 6U. Associations like Little League still do not allow them below 13 years old. Learn the rules for where you play before buying anything. If you do buy a big barrel bat, make sure it has the USSSA stamp. It'll be obvious that it has it. If you run across a deal on a bat for say $69.99 for a bat that used to be $249.99, then it is probably a model without the stamp and thus useless. If you want to buy a quality bat, www.justbats.com has the best prices anywhere. I just ordered 2 more bats today for our team.

As for the whole big barrel (2 5/8" or 2 3/4" diameters) versus standard (2 1/4") diameter, it depends on the hitter. The big barrel bat will help a young hitters confidence as they'll make contact more times and appear to hit the ball better. There are also some drawbacks to them though. They tend to be heavier and have the weight concentrated at the end. This leads to hitters dropping their hands and mimicking golf swings. I see probably 75% of players 8 and under doing this. They get results in coach pitch, but a year or two later, mom and dad are left confused as to why their kid can't hit the ball off kid pitch. If the kid isn't strong enough to handle the added weight at the end of the bat, then it does them no good to have a big barrel bat.

As for the performance of the bat, a 2 1/4" bat can hit the ball just as hard and far as a big barrel bat. Remember, the ball is the same for each -- you just have to hit it square. Bat speed will generate more power and distance than having a big barrel bat as long as a kid is hitting the ball square. We use a lot of bats that are 1 5/8" diameter for training, and some of the kids can still hit the ball a long ways with them because they hit it square.

As for price, I'd stay away from the $250 plus bats unless your son is an elite player. They do make a difference, but only to the players with the right tools to use them. That's probably about 5% or less of the players. Here is a good youth bat with a small barrel: http://www.justbats.com/product/loui...6-youth/11514/ I have no idea what size your son is, but the average size or below 9 year old should most likely be in a 28" bat. My son swings a 29" bat in the small barrel if you want a size reference. That bat at $80 will be just as good as a $200 plus bat for most kids. There are a lot of bats in the same category at the same price. They will be much better than the $40 and under bats that you see elsewhere though for sure.

I'll post more on gloves later.

Comment

For gloves, just use this simple rule. Do you think your son is capable of keeping up with a $150 plus glove ALL THE TIME? If not, then do not buy one because you'll end up having to replace it at some point. Both of my boys have two gloves. One has a first base mitt and regular glove for outfield and pitching. The other has a regular glove and a catcher's mitt. All are youth gloves sized for youth hands. At your son's age, he should probably have a glove in the 11.5" to 12" tops range unless he has a first base mitt. Keep in mind that his hand is going to continue to grow the next several years. Part of the reason good gloves cost $200 plus is because they last. It takes a lot of work to break them in and make them fit your hand. They're worth it though because they last so long. I have a Rawlings pro level glove that retailed for $350 when I bought it for $100 from a rep -- 12 years ago. It's still in perfect game shape.

I would never buy a young player that type of glove because they'll either a) lose it or b) they're hand is going to grow. Go with something that is almost disposable after a season or two. Here's a good glove for that purpose: http://www.ballglovewarehouse.com/pr...m-youth/10840/ I found one of these the other day at Sports Authority marked down to $19.99. I had a $5 off coupon from the coaching packet and thus bought the glove for $15. Of course it was for a right hander though. Regardless, you need to have a glove that will fit your son comfortably and be the size/weight he can handle if you want him catching the ball regularly. The biggest mistake most parents make is putting a full sized/adult glove on their kid. They can't handle the weight or even close it to catch a ball.

Comment

You dont have to be an expert to give advice based on experience...my 10yr old son plays in tournament baseball and has for a few years. We use 2-3/4" bats...we have gone through many bats and the hottest by far is the Worth Lithium Prodigy. But to answer your question, I say get the big barrel bat. It's definitely worth it. And this is an expensive sport. If you arent willing to spend the money to give your son the best chance to succeed, why start him in the sport to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
          You dont have to be an expert to give advice based on experience...my 10yr old son plays in tournament baseball and has for a few years. We use 2-3/4" bats...we have gone through many bats and the hottest by far is the Worth Lithium Prodigy. But to answer your question, I say get the big barrel bat. It's definitely worth it. And this is an expensive sport. If you arent willing to spend the money to give your son the best chance to succeed, why start him in the sport to begin with?
          Because despite what the DFWM community believes, were not all ballers.

I have never been big into baseball but never figured baseball as an "expensive" sport.
          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Because there are different levels of play. Some kids play rec or a semi-competitive league level and that's great. Others play competitive tournament ball. There's a place and a proper level for everyone to play. The point being made is correct though -- if you're going to let your son play at the highest level, be prepared to equip him with the best gear and chance to succeed.

Oh, and I'd argue that he new DeMarini CF5 is the hottest bat out right now for a kid with the bat speed to swing it. My 8 year old hit a ball through the middle this past weekend with it that was never higher than 2 feet off the ground and almost hit a 190' fence on the fly. That bat is nuts. Oh, and if you're playing competitive tournament baseball, then you'll need the BB bats. The exceptional kid can still use a small bat and excel, but again he's the exception. FWIW, I prefer everyone use wood. We spend a ton of time with our kids hitting with wood bats and always play a few wood bat tournaments each year.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post

I have never been big into baseball but never figured baseball as an "expensive" sport.
              Rec league baseball isn't expensive. Competitive baseball is very expensive. You can plan on a new bag each year to the tune of $80. Bats are going to be $200 plus. Cleats, team fees, etc. It adds up in a hurry. It's also not for everyone though.

Comment

LOL! You have no idea.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  LOL! You have no idea.
                  I was referring to just the bat, bags, equipment, etc. I always played hockey and you could easily spend $600 on gear alone.
                  Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                  Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I can buy him the best of the best if I was fully confident he would excel to the level that justified this. Problem I am having is justifying it for a 9 year old who at times is more interested in reading and playing with legos and video games then wanting to his his first home run. I never said it was an issue of how much the equipment was; it is more about are the higher end/more expensive gear that much better for an average skilled 9 year old or would it be a waste of money until he gets older. I have done the whole buy 2 gloves and 2 bats in one season and don't plan on skimping in gear for him by any means.

My son is not about being an elitist or brand loyalist either. He will play with whatever gear I give him and he is happy either way. I am more concerned from my point of few if I would be wasting the money at this age group by buying the better gear or if he is at the age where I should be more concerned in getting the nicer stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
                      I can buy him the best of the best if I was fully confident he would excel to the level that justified this. Problem I am having is justifying it for a 9 year old who at times is more interested in reading and playing with legos and video games then wanting to his his first home run. I never said it was an issue of how much the equipment was; it is more about are the higher end/more expensive gear that much better for an average skilled 9 year old or would it be a waste of money until he gets older. I have done the whole buy 2 gloves and 2 bats in one season and don't plan on skimping in gear for him by any means.

My son is not about being an elitist or brand loyalist either. He will play with whatever gear I give him and he is happy either way. I am more concerned from my point of few if I would be wasting the money at this age group by buying the better gear or if he is at the age where I should be more concerned in getting the nicer stuff.
                      If he's playing league ball in an AA or rec league capacity, save the money.

Comment

Craigslist
                        Vortex rear stand $75
                        8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                        My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                        but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                        11 4 door
                        13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

I was referring to just the bat, bags, equipment, etc. I always played hockey and you could easily spend $600 on gear alone.

As already mentioned, the good bats alone are $300. Plus gloves, balls, new cleats every season, practice gear, training equipment, time at the batting cages, etc.

Select leagues are $5000-15,000 per season, and doesn't include the parent's travel. The list goes on and on and on.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                            Craigslist
                            That's where his 2 Louisville TPX bats and the Di Marrini are going lol along with his nike glove and cleats

Comment

Jr is only 5 so i just buy inexpensive, quality equip. hell he is out growing clothes before he gets a chance to wear them!

god bless.
                              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X