Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College: Choosing what you want to do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never took it serious when i was a kid. I really just took classes to stay on my parents insurance. I got a job around 21 and stopped going for many years. A couple years ago I decided I didn't want to be stuck doing what I was doing and went back. I have one class left to get my bachelors degree, but I was lucky and my work has a tuition reimbursement program. So as long as I made good grades it was essentially free. I may not use it for a while but I figured the older I got, the harder it would be to go back. I have actually enjoyed many of the classes i took.

Comment

Brien, I'm not trying to be mean here, I'm trying to motivate you. You've been talking about going back and how "you should do it" since I reenrolled a year ago. In that year, while you've been talking about it, at the end of this semester next week I'll have added on 33 hours to my transcript. Do it man. Seriously.

Comment

I know Eric. I am going to see if I can hop in any classes due to folks not paying.

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
          Screw a 4 year college...

Go to a 2 year technical college. Get in, get out, make lots of money...

With that said, make sure the field you choose has potential of making lots of money.
          Solid post, lmao.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
            Solid post, lmao.
            Just think where you would have been by now, broke ass.
            Originally posted by Denny
            I call dibs on Don's balls!

Comment

Originally posted by shoot to kill View Post
              i still don't really know what i want to do. I've got an A.S. from Navarro and i'm currently at UTPA. When i enrolled here at the beginning of this semester i was an Environmental Science major...right now i'm doing a double major in Poli Sci and History. Both degrees are pretty much useless. But it's what I want to do. My overall goal is to be a State Game Warden. whether or not the state accepts my degree(s) is up to them. If they do, that's great. i'll get to do what i want to do. If not, well, at least i'm not stuck with a degree that i really didn't want in the first place.
              Looks like you are good with any ol' bachelor's degree.

Education: Applicants must have successfully completed and have conferred a Bachelors level degree from an accredited college or university.
              Originally posted by Denny
              I call dibs on Don's balls!

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
                So I guess the bus driver was just a rumor, lol? Currently i'm more in operations and while I enjoy it, it can be annoying on what you can get done in a day.

In my current role the meetings have dimmed down a bit, so it's not horrible, but I know it'll go back to the non sense soon.

I tinkered with VB and C++ when I was around 15 or so and it interests me, thank you for the pointer, i'll check it out.
                No, I drove a bus for a few years while I was in school.
                Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                haha...I remember when I could get one for a dime and I had to throw away the tab.

My El Camino was cooler than yours.
                I'm surprised you're even able to remember any of that.
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Brien, you seem like a pretty smart guy, but I've also noticed you being fickle on going back to school. Listen to Eric, it's definitely worth it. I waited until I was about 24 before getting serious and going back to school. I hit it hard and got 42 hours in 6 months (12 hr 5 1/2 wk summer, 12 hr 5 1/2 wk summer, 18 hr fall). In December of that year, I got the call that I was getting my dream job, so I had to quit school for the time being. Here are a few things I found to be helpful:

*narrow down your choices for career and your future 4-year college

*make sure ALL of your basics will transfer to a 4-year

*get in good with the people at the admissions office. Any course overload approvals (like my 24 hr summer) will need to be approved by them.

*try to get a degree pertaining to something you enjoy doing

*if all else fails, get a generic degree like something for Business Management, or Human Resources. That opens up doors for all kinds of jobs, as long as you interview well. Just make sure you let them know that you stand out from the crowd and will do the job better than anyone else, and that the degrees just let them know you're dedicated and hard-working, and can perform tasks asked of you.

Comment

Working...
                  X