Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Florida meth addict burned down a 3,500 year old tree

... so she would have enough light to see the drugs she was doing

Woman charged with burning 'The Senator' says she did it 'to use illegal drugs'

11:16 p.m. EST, February 28, 2012

A woman on Tuesday was charged with setting a fire that burned

The Senator, one of the world's oldest cypress trees -- and she told authorities she did it because she was wanted light to see the drugs she was doing, investigators said.

Two witnesses identified Sara Barnes, 26, as the person who set the fire, authorities said.

Barnes took photos of the flames with her cellphone and told one of the witnesses that she started it, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services said.

"She did not call the Fire Department or 911 to report the fire," said Sterling Ivey, an agriculture-department spokesman.

The tree, which had twigs and branches piled at the base, burned quickly.

"It's a great fuel source," Ivey said. "Unfortunately."

Investigators searched Barnes' apartment near Winter Park Tuesday and confiscated her cellphone and laptop computer. Authorities found methamphetamine, a glass pipe and other drug paraphernalia, they said.

The Seminole County Sheriff's Office arrested Barnes late Tuesday on charges of possession of methamphetamine with intent to sell and possession of drug paraphernalia. Another woman with Barnes at the apartment was arrested on charges of drug and paraphernalia possession.

Her Facebook page, which describes her as a model who attended Winter Park High School, contained several profanity-laced comments late Tuesday. One decried her for "destroying a global treasure,"

The Senator, which stood at Big Tree Park north of Longwood, burned a little after 5:30 a.m. Jan. 16. Known as "The Big Tree," it was thought to have been more than 3,500 years old. With a height of 118 feet and a diameter of nearly 18 feet, the tree was a tourist attraction long before Walt Disney World.

A tip to Crimeline Jan. 17 led to Barnes' arrest. She is being held in the Seminole County Jail.

Another person was with Barnes when the interior of the tree was set on fire, Ivey said. That person has not been publicly identified or charged.

Seminole County will spend nearly $30,000 to install fencing at Big Tree Park near the site where The Senator stood, county commissioners decided today. The fence is designed to prevent someone from stealing the remains of the tree or damaging Lady Liberty, another cypress tree that is an estimated 2,000 years old.

Remember reading about that when it happened. What an insult to the planet. Bitch.

Comment

Fucking bitch.

No one read The Lorax to her I guess.

Comment

lock her up for no less than 3500 years

or make her read every one of majorownage, crapstang and 91coupemike's posts... not really sure what is worse

Comment

I'll take the 3500 years, your honor.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            I'll take the 3500 years, your honor.
            I'd like to second this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
              I'd like to second this.
              thirdeded!

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                Remember reading about that when it happened. What an insult to the planet. Bitch.
                About what I thought. What a stupid cunt. They should give her a lethal dose of the good stuff.

Comment

Interesting....some of you want to give this woman a life sentence, or execute her for destroying a tree. So the tree is obviously important to some of you.

But if Haliburton, or some other corporation wanted to cut this tree down, along with a few thousands others....and this woman had stood in front of the bulldozers & axemen....many of you would call her a tree hugging liberal & been happy to see her jailed.

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
                    Interesting....some of you want to give this woman a life sentence, or execute her for destroying a tree. So the tree is obviously important to some of you.

But if Haliburton, or some other corporation wanted to cut this tree down, along with a few thousands others....and this woman had stood in front of the bulldozers & axemen....many of you would call her a tree hugging liberal & been happy to see her jailed.
                    You're comparing apples to oranges.
                    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

What's she pissed off about??
                      Originally posted by talisman
                      I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                      Originally posted by AdamLX
                      If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                      Because fuck you, that's why
                      Originally posted by 80coupe
                      nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                      Originally posted by Rick Modena
                      ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                      Originally posted by Jester
                      Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

good point.

Comment

So true.

Bad deal either way.

Comment

well i guess its good to see the meth heads are all over Florida, not just my hometown.
                            2011 Mustang GT
                            sigpic

Comment

Send that bitch to prison just on principle alone. But really who gives a shit about that tree. It's a fucking tree.
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X