No announcement yet.

Wife just got a job- IRA question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't the Roth taxed on the way in versus when you withdraw a traditional at retirement? I would rather have my money taxed before it generates tens of thousands in interest. Maybe I'm misinformed

Comment

Yep, taxed going in...hence contributions don't reduce agi. So if you anticipate a higher rate later, go roth. That's the point of a roth ira, roth 401k, etc.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

So can you help me understand why then it will matter what bracket I'm in later? Even if I stay in the same bracket, wouldn't I save less in taxes paid by paying the interest up front vs on the total investment plus interest?

Sorry if I sound dumb, but it's new to me. So are you saying that if I stay in the same tax bracket, it's not advantageous to have a Roth vs a traditional? I do anticipate being in a higher bracket, but now I'm just trying to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
          So can you help me understand why then it will matter what bracket I'm in later? Even if I stay in the same bracket, wouldn't I save less in taxes paid by paying the interest up front vs on the total investment plus interest?

Sorry if I sound dumb, but it's new to me. So are you saying that if I stay in the same tax bracket, it's not advantageous to have a Roth vs a traditional? I do anticipate being in a higher bracket, but now I'm just trying to learn.
          I'm on my phone at a conference, but yes the tax bracket is the advantage. That's it...most people expect to be in higher tax brackets as they age and progress in their career. If you take it off the top going in, the $ isn't there to grow in the first place, think of it that way.
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
            I'm on my phone at a conference, but yes the tax bracket is the advantage. That's it...most people expect to be in higher tax brackets as they age and progress in their career. If you take it off the top going in, the $ isn't there to grow in the first place, think of it that way.
            Earning are tax free too if you pull them out after 59.5 years old. That is the biggest benefit to the Roth. Post-tax $5k goes in, grows to $40k or whatever and you can pull out the $40k tax free at 59.5.
            Ford
            GM
            Toyota
            VAG

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
              Earning are tax free too if you pull them out after 59.5 years old. That is the biggest benefit to the Roth. Post-tax $5k goes in, grows to $40k or whatever and you can pull out the $40k tax free at 59.5.
              Yep, that's right. Sounds like you're confirming what he was asking and did a better job than I was. I was trying to relate something else but it probably isn't that necessary.

Comment

Thanks guys, the past 59.5 is what I was trying to get at. Her simple is going to kill our Roth contribution which sucks but at least w get 3% free money, but I'd rather max the 5k/year in the Roth for the tax benefits

Comment

Working...
                X