No announcement yet.

Ways you have conserved spending?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Buy things you know you will use (and that don't go bad) in the largest possible size. Includes toilet paper, shower soap, razors, shampoo, dish soap, laundry detergent, etc

2. Eat at home. I eat on less than $5 a day. I have a giant ass bag of rice that I bought last year. I am still eating out of it a couple times a week.

3. Call your cable company and tell them you are thinking about switching to another company due to cheaper rates. Usually you will either get something for free or they will lower the cost.

4. Dont run the heat during the day when you are home and minimize use at night. I keep the heat off and use an extra blanket. My bill last month for electricity was $90.

5. Use cash or debit cards for everything. Don't use the credit card if you can't pay it off that month. This is a simple concept, but everyone needs to be reminded from time to time.

6. Ride a bike. I know some folks live in suburbia and nothing is around, but if I need something from the corner store I ride up there.

7. Drink and smoke less. Hard one for me, but I have minimized smoking and drinking lately in order to save money. I was amazed at how much I saved by not going out to bars as much (used to go twice a week or so).
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Stopped eating out. (saves $200 to $400 a month)

Killing DirecTV and using Netflix for my TV entertainment. If DTV lets me keep my account down to a bear minimum with a very tiny cost, I'll keep it and only buy Sunday Ticket every year. I really don't watch much TV at all. (saves about $80 a month)

Sold my Mustang (I telecommute) (saved about $500 a month.. not counting gas, insurance, and maintenance)

Killing my soda pop habit (really the only bad habit I have) (saves maybe $50 a month)

shopping around my car and life insurance (don't know yet)

Cutting back on monthly allowance budget (right now $400 split between the wife and me. Looking to cut it back to $200 a month)

Edit: One of the things that really stopped me from eating out is that a value meal at McD's cost me about $7 to $8. I can get two red trout fillets for less money at Market Street and feed the two of us. A couple of sweet potatoes ups the cost by less than $1.
      Last edited by Sgt Beavis; 12-12-2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

heh, he said "soda pop"

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
          I feed a family of 3 for around 50 a week and we have all the food we want, 3 healthy meals a day with no junk food
          Can you expand on this? I can't feed just myself on $50/week. Unless I ate nothing but beans, rice, and cornbread. And I can't do that 3 meals a day/7 days a week.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I am with DOHCTR on the rice. I have some 2 lbs boxes of brown rice that I cook with canned chili or mix in a can of tuna, a protein shack and a fiber bar is usually breakfast, and lunch is a sandwhich with a V-8 drink.
            De Oppresso Liber.

Comment

I go to work all the time. I'm not out spending money willy-nilly while I'm up here, and all my savings ended up netting me a nice haul for my birthday/TG/xmas season spending spree.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

We save shitloads, but if I could find a way to kill my wife it'd be even more.
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                  We save shitloads, but if I could find a way to kill my wife it'd be even more.
                  Make her follow your degree path and shadow your moves at work. Problem solved.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

As well as some other folks here, stopped the soda, eating out, buy used parts for the car, and a lot of other things mentioned above. As well Ill buy a $5.00 cooked chicken at sams and eat that all week, chicken sandwich, chicken salad, chicken this chicken that.

Comment

syphoning gas from my wife's car has really helped me cut my gas expense

Comment

If its yellow, let it mellow, if its brown, flush it down!

Comment

Eating out less. Packing a lunch. Ordering water instead of soda. Replaced all the incandescent bulbs in the house with CFL bulbs. Retrofitting the house. Making your trips count to save gas. Telecommuting at every opportunity to do so. Clipping coupons. Washing using cold water most of the time, instead of warm or hot. Leaving my 11 MPG Mustang collect dust and leaves in the garage. Turning off the damn 350 watt Plasma TV when nobody is watching it.

Comment

Gave up the copenhagen, moved closer to work (this cut my fuel bill, granted my truck is running right, by a full tank ~40-50 a week), Stopped eating out as much, started coming home for lunch instead of grabbing a burger.

I gave up soda a long time ago, when I had a kidney stone.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                              I've cut out everything I don't need... no more Impala, no more bike, no more DVR or satellite (using free off air antenna), no more Sirius, no more eating out, no more alcohol, no more smart phone, got rid of newer car for older cash car... my only luxury currently is internet and a gym membership. Really, I don't miss much, it's all fluff. And I've been lucky the economy has not impacted me, I'm just trying to get ahead. I almost have my house paid off
                              Heading down this path myself. Do have cable but am rethinking my position on that.
                              Get any kind of reception on the free digital signal?

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                                Gave up the copenhagen, .
                                Good luck on that. I've had zero success thus far in that endeavor. And you can get Cope Extra Long Cut Natural for $3.49 at RaceTrack.

Comment

Working...
                                X