Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with aftermarket warranties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with aftermarket warranties?

Just got around to looking at the paperwork for a C6 we bought and I was under the impression when the P.O. said it was still under warranty that it was a factory extended warranty. Nope, it is a company called "IWS" (Intercontinental Warranty Services). Looks like I can transfer it to my name for $40 (P.O. paid just over 2k for the warranty), but I've always heard these things are scams and they way worse then the factory warranties when it comes to denying any claims. If that's the case I am not sure if it's even worth it to transfer. If I do car will be covered for 25k more miles or until 9/14.

Anyone had experience with these companies? Do they let you take it to the dealer? Do they require insane documentation, like every single oil change, etc.?

Thanks.

for $40 I'd do it and worry about it later IF you end up needing it... worst that will happen is you waste $40

don't stress over it until you have to.

good day
    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I agree with Chris.

Comment

$40 yes

$400 maybe not

Comment

I agree with Jason.

Comment

I agree with Alex

Comment

I agree with Eric
              1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I agree with this guy ^^^ (I don't know anybody's real name on here)

I work in that industry. Not for that company, but service contracts in general, vehicle service contracts included. This is just my personal opinion...

I have never heard of that company, but for $40 it seems like a good deal to me. It depends on the contract/company but in my experience:
                Yes - You can usually take it to a dealer
                Yes - Most likely if there was a failure that could be related to maintenance they would require copy of oil changes or other other relevant maintenance. (possibly even from before you owned the vehicle) <<< this is important.
                "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                  Most likely if there was a failure that could be related to maintenance they would require copy of oil changes or other other relevant maintenance. (possibly even from before you owned the vehicle) <<< this is important.
                  Don't have that info. Guy ran Royal Purple and did the alternating oil change deal (filter/top off every other oil change). I'll be putting Mobile 1 in it as that's what I always use.

The deductible is $100 and if they are going to require proof of all maintenance it seems like I won't get jack covered.

I'll probably do it anyway, but this baby is getting tuned ASAP now!

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                    Don't have that info. Guy ran Royal Purple and did the alternating oil change deal (filter/top off every other oil change). I'll be putting Mobile 1 in it as that's what I always use.

The deductible is $100 and if they are going to require proof of all maintenance it seems like I won't get jack covered.

I'll probably do it anyway, but this baby is getting tuned ASAP now!
                    That's why I mentioned it. If there was a time to get records from the prior owner it would be now, but I realize that isn't always an option for many reasons. If you can get some documentation from him I would, but that's just my personality. When it comes to stuff like that I go into extreme CYA mode.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, just wanted to throw it out there. Good luck man.
                    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                      I agree with this guy ^^^ (I don't know anybody's real name on here)

I work in that industry. Not for that company, but service contracts in general, vehicle service contracts included. This is just my personal opinion...

I have never heard of that company, but for $40 it seems like a good deal to me. It depends on the contract/company but in my experience:
                      Yes - You can usually take it to a dealer
                      Yes - Most likely if there was a failure that could be related to maintenance they would require copy of oil changes or other other relevant maintenance. (possibly even from before you owned the vehicle) <<< this is important.
                      I agree with Steve.^^^

Comment

Worked at a dealership and aftermarket warranties SUCK, they don't want to cover anything. But for $40 you might as well, I'm sure you've blown $40+ on more ridiculous shit.

Comment

Waste of $40 IMO.

Comment

I bought an extended warranty when i bought my car... I've actually had good luck with the group i go to. So far they replaced my rack/pinion, rear seals, front tie rods and soon my gas tank (bad evap canister in it). So to me it would be worth it.

Comment

For $40, it's worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X