Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dallas police writing fewer tickets

this should be a good thread topic

DALLAS — The City of Dallas is losing out on millions of dollars.

The reason? Dallas police handed out 56,000 fewer citations over the last two fiscal years.

Some officers tell News 8 they are doing it in protest, while others blame a new focus on property crimes.

"The purpose of traffic enforcement is to improve traffic safety, not to raise revenue," said Dallas police Chief David Brown in a statement to News 8. "We don't believe the citizens of Dallas want its police department writing citations to raise revenue."

Larry McCoy lives just off Greenville Avenue. He watches speeders zip through his neighborhood on a daily basis.

"On these side streets, people tend to light them up," he said.

As the block captain of his homeowners' group, McCoy said it can be a dangerous situation. "We have all these bars up the street, so you know, drinking and speed," he said. "It kind of goes together."

DPD sources told News 8 they get more than 100 complaints a month about speeders, but can't do much about it. Two-thirds of the traffic division has been cut or pulled to do special assignments.

In the last five years, the number of tickets has dropped significantly.

2007: 479,000 tickets
    2008: 412,400 tickets
    2009: 369,675 tickets
    2010: 351,587 tickets
    2011: 294,737 tickets

The decline could mean millions for the city.

"The police department does not view citations as a revenue producer," said Assistant Chief Tom Lawrence. "That's not what they are for. That's not what we believe we enforce traffic laws for. The intention is to correct criminal behavior by our drivers and to reduce accidents."

The Dallas Police Department told us that while traffic citations are down for 2011, the number of people pulled over is up 10 percent, adding that traffic fatalities also dropped last year.

"There are significant savings to the public when traffic safety is improved, to include fewer insurance claims, fewer hospital stays, less time from work of injured persons, and less officer time on accident scenes," Chief Brown said in his statement.

"We're asking them to make those traffic stops to correct behavior," Lawrence added. "It may take a citation or it may be just a warning, but that's why I feel traffic stops are more important than citations."

The department says part of the reason for the drop in 2011 is that the federal government cut a grant, taking away hundreds of thousands of dollars in overtime for traffic enforcement. But sources tell News 8 there have been 21 traffic deaths already this year — a significant increase from last year at this time.

Shit everybody knows you can haul ass through Dallas!
    GOD BLESS TEXAS
    August Landscaping
    214-779-7278
    Seb's high class.
    He'll mow your grass.
    He'll kick your ass.
    And while his kidney stones pass,
    He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Chooo Chooo $$$$$$$$$$$
      www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

300,000 tickets? HOLY FUCK. Dallas must have Uncle Scrooge money. How many cops do they have to write that many tickets? That averages out to 822 tickets per day, and at 15 minutes a stop over 205 man hours per day are spent by DPD writing tickets.

Comment

They have increased the amount of traffic stops while decreasing the amount of citations issued. I think that's a good strategy. Let's people know PD are out there, but not looking to mess with everyone.
          Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
            They have increased the amount of traffic stops while decreasing the amount of citations issued. I think that's a good strategy. Let's people know PD are out there, but not looking to mess with everyone.

X2
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Dpd ft... W????
              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

while others blame a new focus on property crimes.
                Yea, let's take the officers off of BS police work like solving break ins and catching burgalars, and get them back to doing the REAL police work, writing tickets for 5 over the speed limit!

Comment

Dallas exhibiting common sense? I must need to reread that article, obviously I've misinterpreted it.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                    Yea, let's take the officers off of BS police work like solving break ins and catching burgalars, and get them back to doing the REAL police work, writing tickets for 5 over the speed limit!
                    um sounds more like detective work.

Comment

Originally posted by grove rat View Post
                      The department says part of the reason for the drop in 2011 is that the federal government cut a grant, taking away hundreds of thousands of dollars in overtime for traffic enforcement.
                      They could condense this article to this one sentence, the rest of it is a bunch of baloney.
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                        300,000 tickets? HOLY FUCK. Dallas must have Uncle Scrooge money. How many cops do they have to write that many tickets? That averages out to 822 tickets per day, and at 15 minutes a stop over 205 man hours per day are spent by DPD writing tickets.
                        Don't get all up in a frenzy.

Is that 294,373 tickets made up of just traffic tickets?

What about parking tickets, tickets written at accidents, and General Complaint (Loose animals, fighting, assault by contact, etc...) tickets?

What about code violation tickets (tall grass, dumping, etc...)

That number is probably a total of ALL tickets, not just traffic stops.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                          They could condense this article to this one sentence, the rest of it is a bunch of baloney.
                          what about 2007 2008 2009 and 2010 ticket drops?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                            Dallas exhibiting common sense? I must need to reread that article, obviously I've misinterpreted it.
                            Nice one Eric!

Comment

Everytime I go thru Dallas to get to Coppell I go like 80 not to get run over, plus no place really for a cop to sit on 35

Comment

Working...
                              X