First Amendment > Stolen Valor Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Amendment > Stolen Valor Act

Reporting from Washington— The Supreme Court justices spoke with disdain about liars who claim to have earned military honors, but they sounded less sure how to handle another group known for shading the truth: politicians.

"In the commercial context, we allow a decent amount of lying. It's called puffing. 'You won't buy it cheaper anywhere,' " said Justice Antonin Scalia. "So maybe we allow a certain amount of puffing in political speech as well. Nobody believes all that stuff, right?"

The exchange came midway through Wednesday's argument over whether the freedom of speech shields people who falsely claim military honors. The Stolen Valor Act in 2006 makes these lies a crime.

With the exception of Justice Sonia Sotomayor, none of the justices sounded as though they were convinced by a lawyer for Xavier Alvarez that the law should be struck down on 1st Amendment grounds.

The case arose when Alvarez, of Pomona, a member of a local water board, described himself at a meeting as an ex-Marine who had been awarded the Medal of Honor. Exposed as a flagrant liar, he was convicted for violating the Stolen Valor Act, but he won a ruling from the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals that declared the law unconstitutional.

On Wednesday, all the justices who spoke voiced concern about current or future laws that might allow prosecutors to go after politicians and others for lies and exaggerations about their accomplishments or foibles. They asked about everything from phony college degrees to extramarital affairs.

Justice Elena Kagan wondered about state laws that prohibited "demonstrable falsehoods" uttered during a political campaign. How, she asked, could such a law be upheld?

Not easily, replied U.S. Solicitor Gen. Donald Verrilli Jr. He said the law must allow a "breathing space" for political comments and assertions.

The Supreme Court has yet to hear a challenge to a state law that forbids false statements in political races, but the justices seemed to be pondering how to rule on such an issue.

Verrilli said the Stolen Valor Act was different from a law regulating politicians because it was narrow and targeted people who knowingly and wrongly claimed to have received an award for military valor. There is no reason for the 1st Amendment to shield lies of that sort, he said.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. appeared to agree. When Jonathan Libby, a public defender from Los Angeles, argued that the 1st Amendment did not allow for criminal laws against "pure speech" about military honors, the chief justice cut him off after three sentences.

"What is the 1st Amendment value of a lie, a pure lie?" Roberts asked.

Libby struggled for an answer, but said the law should not criminalize speech unless it "causes imminent harm to another person" or the government. He said laws against fraud and perjury were constitutional because those lies caused harm.

But most of the justices said they saw harm in allowing liars to claim military honors. "In my mind, there is a real harm.... It does hurt the medal if people falsely go around saying they have this medal when they don't," Justice Stephen G. Breyer said.

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy said it was "common sense" to say it "demeans" the military honors if charlatans can wear medals or claim to have earned the decorations.

The high court will rule in several months on U.S. vs. Alvarez.

This guy challenging a law that was passed because he liked to lie his ass off just makes me shake my head. It is like being called to testify in an assault case against someone who bitch slapped you and you did nothing in response.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I saw that on the news last night and came to realize it is something that hits home with me. I enlisted in the USAF in 1996 in the delayed entry program...and tested VERY WELL and chose a specialty that was Airborne...which provided hazardous duty pay. During my flight physical in basic training a regular urinalysis revealed a tiny amount of blood "a term they called MICRO-HEMATURIA". I was told I would be discharged with a medical discharge. I tried to fight them...even involving a Texas senator who offered to launch an inquiry to determine why the test had been missed at MEPS. Ultimately I was forced to leave the military after serving 6 months...something I didn't want to do. Several years later while bullshitting over beers with some friends (one of them had served in the USMC) my friend told me that I wasn't a veteran...and that I shouldn't mention it on job applications or tell people I was. I was infuriated and it almost turned into a physical argument. Over the years I've had other people tell me similar things..basically they are telling me that if I report that I served...that I'm lying...that I'm disrespecting the military. I say they can fuck off. Apparently the VA as well as the USAF feels that I did. I have a DD214, as well as all my other documents stating I honorably served and was discharged under HONORABLE conditions.
      It pisses me off when people make claims about being war hero's or veterans when they never served a day...or even enlisted. I DO think it should be a law. I offered my services...and fought to stay in to no avail. These liars take jobs and opportunities away from people who really DID serve..or tried to.

Comment

If you have a DD214, you're a vet
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
            Thank you.
            No, thank you for your service.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              This
              Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
              No, thank you for your service.
              And this.

And thank you to most of the SCOTUS justices (Sotomayor excluded) for having common sense.
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Working...
              X